• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Standard - Could not verify the PayPal transaction. Please try again.

''B''

I am helping a friend with her website. I recently installed Paypal Standard 3.2. I did a live purchase and after logging in to Paypal and clicking the Pay button, I am taken back to the shopping cart with a message at the top that says "Could not verify the PayPal transaction. Please try again."

It's interesting to note that the money was still deducted from my Paypal account despite this.

No confirmation receipt was received from the store, the product was not removed from the site, and the transaction does not show up in my account history.

I did receive an email from Paypal regarding the transaction as did my friend (the seller).

Versions, Paypal Account Settings, Admin Paypal Module Settings, and Debug email below.

Would appreciate some help with this!! Thanks!!

Versions
Paypal Standard 3.2
osCommerce 2.3.3.4
Chrome v. 36

Paypal Account Settings

Admin Paypal Module Settings

Enable PayPal Payments Standard
True

Seller E-Mail Address
[email protected]

Primary E-Mail Address

Page Style

Transaction Method
Sale

Set Preparing Order Status
Preparing [PayPal Standard]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status
Processing

PayPal Transactions Order Status Level
PayPal [Transactions]

Payment Zone
--none--

Gateway Server
Live

Verify SSL Certificate
True

Proxy Server

Debug E-Mail Address
[email protected]

Enable Encrypted Website Payments
False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location
/usr/bin/openssl

Sort order of display.

Debug Email (personal data changed to anonymous)

$HTTP_POST_VARS:

Array
(
[mc_gross] => 10.01
[invoice] => 654
[protection_eligibility] => Eligible
[address_status] => confirmed
[item_number1] =>
[payer_id] => My payer I.D.
[tax] => 0.00
[address_street] => My address
[payment_date] => 04:23:14 Aug 04, 2014 PDT
[payment_status] => Completed
[charset] => UTF-8
[address_zip] => My zip
[mc_shipping] => 10.00
[mc_handling] => 0.00
[first_name] => My first name
[mc_fee] => 0.59
[address_country_code] => US
[address_name] => My first and last name
[notify_version] => 3.8
[custom] => 282
[payer_status] => verified
[business] => [email protected]
[address_country] => United States
[num_cart_items] => 1
[mc_handling1] => 0.00
[address_city] => myCity
[payer_email] => [email protected]
[verify_sign] => Ai1PaghZh5FmBLCDCTQpwG8jB264ACeA6XEfbkXUSJvrsE0rYvWEuf2I
[mc_shipping1] => 10.00
[tax1] => 0.00
[txn_id] => Txn ID
[payment_type] => instant
[last_name] => My last name
[item_name1] => Test Product
[address_state] => CA
[receiver_email] => [email protected]
[payment_fee] =>
[quantity1] => 1
[receiver_id] => Receiver ID
[txn_type] => cart
[mc_currency] => GBP
[mc_gross_1] => 10.01
[residence_country] => US
[transaction_subject] => 282
[payment_gross] =>
[auth] => AjX414q8rxcaGXUUioTnjST40t.Vj2eOyaQZ9fW2DQV-cGQhvcp3SM59Zxp36gfT1j0TY-F-Vd.pgskBI4CxNaA
[form_charset] => UTF-8
)

Edited by ''B''

- If you are using a paypal email alias address then you also have to add in the paypal accounts main email address under Primary E-Mail Address

- If you do not have a ssl certificate for your website set Verify SSL Certificate to false.

Thanks Nick for your reply.

She has a private SSL certificate for her website.

In her Paypal account she has three emails. The email in her Admin Paypal module is using the secondary email rather than the primary email. Is that what caused the error? For the previous version of Paypal Standard that was being used for her website, the secondary email was the only email used and it worked fine. I didn't think to change it. If you think that's what caused the issue, I'll add in the Primary email address and retest.

You don't need to enter any URLs in your PayPal profile with the official PayPal modules (which are are using). If you have entered URLs in your PayPal profile it is best to remove them.

And as Nick mentioned, yes - you need to enter your Primary PayPal E-Mail Address in the module configuration if it is different to the Seller E-Mail Address.

:heart:, osCommerce

Harald, I don't think I understand. If I don't enter a return URL into the Paypal account selling preferences, how does Paypal know how to return back to the checkout_process.php page when the Pay button is clicked? Doesn't that need to happen in order for the purchase to be finalized and for the checkout_success.php page to display to the customer?

Ohhhh... I see. I didn't realize that.

Okay, one more question before I test again. When the buyer finishes the transaction over at Paypal, are they automatically sent back to the seller's website? Or is there a button they need to click to return back to the website?

If there is a button that needs to be clicked, what happens if the buyer just closes the browser? How does the order get finalized (so that it actually logs as an order resulting in a buyer receiving an email receipt, the shop owner being notified, the order showing up in the buyer's shop account, and the product being removed from the website)?

No that's fine. As long as the order gets finalized it doesn't matter to me whether they return back to the store or not.

The IPN behavior does not rely upon a URL value over in the Paypal Notification URL settings correct? I can go ahead and remove the the standar_ipn.php URL from my friend's Paypal settings, yes?

So I removed the Return URL and the IPN notification URL from my friend's Paypal account. And I set up the primary address in the Admin Paypal module. I did two live test orders and both went through, but Order #2 wasn't entirely successful. Please see the details of the tests below.

Order #1 Test: At the end of the transaction, I clicked the button over at Paypal to be taken back to the seller's website.

~ Paypal receipt received.

~ Shop receipt received.

~ Item was removed from website.

~ Item removed from shopping cart

~ Item logged in my account history.

~ Logged as “Processing” in the Admin order log.

Order #2 Test: At the end of the transaction, I did not click the button over at Paypal to be taken back to the seller's website. I just closed the browser. The order still went through since I got a Paypal receipt, but…

~ Shop receipt was not received

~ Item was not removed from the website

~ Item was not removed from shopping cart

~ Item was not logged into my account history

~ Logged as “Preparing [PayPal Standard]” in the Admin order log

I went inside the order to see the details, and it said “No Order History Available” underneath the Date Added, Customer Notified, Status, and Comments column headers.

I waited 30 minutes to see if there was a delay in Paypal IPN notification, but nothing changed.

Are there any suggestions for getting the IPN to work so that the order logs/processes correctly on the seller's website?

Edited by ''B''

The shop is publicy available. (a real web address, not an IP address)

At the order details page, the first line has a status of PayPal[Transaction] and under Comments the following:

PayPal Verified [Transaction ID: 9MD24158BK143271K; Completed (Verified; £10.50)]

The second line has a status of Processing and under Comments are the customer comments.

There's nothing there labeled as IPN.

What happens when you call the following file directly in your browser:

ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php

If you get a HTTP error you might have a .htaccess file somewhere in that path that causes an error with your web server configuration.

:heart:, osCommerce

When I type in the address for that file, I get the following message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function sendDebugEmail() on a non-object in [/size]/folderPath/standard_ipn.php on line [/size]40

folderPath representing all the folders down to standard_ipn.php

Being the person that developed the Paypal Standard module, you probably already know that line 40 is the following code that's part of an if/else statement... $paypal_standard->sendDebugEmail($result, true);

Also, my friend received a couple of emails from Paypal that said the following:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN) messages. Messages sent to the following URL(s) are not being received:

http://www.webaddress.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information.

Once you or your service provider fix this problem, you or your service provider can resend the failed messages from the IPN History page. If this problem continues, PayPal may disable the IPN feature for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Edited by ''B''

I uninstalled the Paypal Standard module, and for good measure I deleted the appropriate Paypal Standard files off the webserver before sending over the new copies. I reinstalled the module and input all the appropriate settings.

I cleared my browser cache, then input http://www.webaddress.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php into the browser address bar.

I'm still getting the following error... Fatal error: Call to a member function sendDebugEmail() on a non-object in /folderPath/standard_ipn.php on line 40