• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Guest Checkout, Paypal Express, and Sales Tax

ArtcoInc

Building a site using 2334bs3, and have the Better Checkout 'Guest Checkout' add-on:

http://www.tostejensen.com/better-checkout.html

Am using the version of Paypal Express that came with 2334bs3 (v1.2, API 60.0). I tried the newer version of Paypal Express (v3.0, API 112), but had issues with it:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396825-testing-new-paypal-express-checkout-module/page__st__20#entry1698190

I have California set up as a tax zone.

There are 4 ways for a customer to go through checkout:

1) Create and log into an account. Add item to cart. Go through checkout process. Pay through Paypal. Sales tax *is* collected.

2) Create and log into an account. Add item to cart. Click on Paypal Express button. Sales tax *is* collected.

3) Log in as a guest. Add item to cart. Go through checkout process. Pay through Paypal. Sales tax *is* collected.

4) Log in as a guest. Add item to cart. Click on Paypal Express button. Sales tax *IS NOT* collected.

I have talked to the developer of Better Checkout, but since the Paypal Express button bypasses the checkout process, there's nothing that he can do.

I do have Sales Tax enabled in Paypal. Obviously, I also do not want Paypal Express to add tax to an order when osC has already added it.

Is there any way for osC to indicate to Paypal Express that sales tax is *not* accounted for, and that Paypal is supposed to determine if the order is shipping to a tax zone?

Thanks!

Malcolm

@@ArtcoInc

Can you test the scenario where it not works to fetch the sales tax from oscommerce in paypals sandbox mode?

If you test it like that make sure you choose in paypal to oscommerce fetch the tax.

I had similar issues , but that was for shipping.

But testing in sandbox mode worked.

In my case the SSL certificate created the problem.

Also make sure in oscommerce paypal express setting that PayPal Instant Update = True

The only payment modules installed are:

1) Cash on Delivery

2) Paypal Express Checkout

I was initially using the LIVE version of Paypal. It took a little while to install, configure, and verify the sandbox.

Here are the settings in Admin | Modules | Payment | Paypal Express Checkout:

(edited for security)

Enable PayPal Express Checkout

Do you want to accept PayPal Express Checkout payments?

X True

False

Seller Account

The email address of the seller account if no API credentials has been setup.

XXXXXX@@yyyyyy.ZZZ

API Username

The username to use for the PayPal API service

XXXXXX@@yyyyyy.ZZZ

API Password

The password to use for the PayPal API service

XXXXXXXXXXX

API Signature

The signature to use for the PayPal API service

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Transaction Server

Use the live or testing (sandbox) gateway server to process transactions?

Live

X Sandbox

Transaction Method

The processing method to use for each transaction.

Authorization

X Sale

PayPal Account Optional

This must also be enabled in your PayPal account, in Profile > Website Payment Preferences.

True

X False

PayPal Instant Update

Support PayPal shipping and tax calculations on the PayPal.com site during Express Checkout.

X True

False

PayPal Checkout Image

Use static or dynamic Express Checkout image buttons. Dynamic images are used with PayPal campaigns.

X Static

Dynamic

Debug E-Mail Address

All parameters of an invalid transaction will be sent to this email address.

XXXXXX@@yyyyyy.ZZZ

Payment Zone

If a zone is selected, only enable this payment method for that zone.

-- none --

Set Order Status

Set the status of orders made with this payment module to this value

PayPal Transactions Order Status Level

Include PayPal transaction information in this order status level

Paypal [Transactions]

Sort order of display.

Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.

cURL Program Location

The location to the cURL program application.

Went went into the Paypal sandbox account, and added the tax zone for California.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sales Tax

Create multiple sales tax rates, specified by region that are applied to all payments you receive. You may define a separate sales tax rate for each of the 50 U.S.states, provinces, territories, or for your country.

Set Up Domestic Sales Tax Rates

Domestic tax rates apply to orders processed within your country of residence.

State/Zip Code Tax Rate % Apply Tax to Shipping? Status

California 8.750% No Active

United States 0.000% No Active

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took a little while to realize that I needed to create a 'user account' in the sandbox. Created one with a California address.

Got it to process orders through Chrome (am having issues with Firefox).

If I go through the Checkout process (even as a guest), osC passes the sales tax onto Paypal. But, if I use the Paypal Express button, still no sales tax.

Malcolm

If you test it like that make sure you choose in paypal to oscommerce fetch the tax.

Went went into the Paypal sandbox account, and added the tax zone for California.

Malcolm

i told NOT to do that in paypal

However it should be active but not setted, if i am correct there is a checkbox somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. If the user is logged in, PayPal will charge taxes; if not, no taxes. I am currently running the module without API information, only email.

Have you had any progress on this issue?

Archived