• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add-On for a filter navigation menu

Stefany

I am looking for an add-on that will be able to "create" sort of a filter navigation menu on the left side of the website which lists the products' attributes as parameters for the user to search.

The store is selling kids' clothes.

Please note that the store has over 15,000 products, so the add-on must be able to somehow "fetch" the data that is already written, i.e. adding attribute data somewhere will be impossible.

Here is an example of what I want - http://i61.tinypic.com/2njlpn9.jpg

I searched and searched the web and could not find what I wanted, please fellows, help!

Thank you!

Edited by Stefany

product specifications can re-use product database fields, perhaps you can trick it even more with database views.

I use it on my site

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Product Specifications will handle the filters, but it isn't designed to take the data directly from the product attributes. That would require some custom code, or maybe just some SQL to copy the values over to the specifications.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

On one of my sites I have added a view for the products table to only select a subset of products on the catalog side ie TABLE_PRODUCTS is v_products which is defined in the database as a (readonly) view

create view v_products as select * from products where manufacturers_id in (1,2,3)

I wonder if the same could be applied to products_specifications

so that TABLE_PRODUCTS_SPECIFICATIONS maps to v_products_specifications with a view like this pseudo code, or even join in additional columns to have the specification name etc

create view v_products_specifications
as select products_id, specification_id, language_id, value
from products_specifications
union
select products_id, attributes_id, language_id, attribute_value
from products_attributes

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

You'll need a bit more SQL to select the correct specifications. I don't see any reason why that would not work.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thank you for the recommendations, guys. I installed Product Spesifications, but this error appears now in the product listing:

1146 - Table 'oscom.table_products_to_documents' doesn't exist
select count(*) as total from TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_DOCUMENTS where products_id = '27'
[TEP STOP]

Please help!

Thank you for the recommendations, guys. I installed Product Spesifications, but this error appears now in the product listing:

1146 - Table 'oscom.table_products_to_documents' doesn't exist
select count(*) as total from TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_DOCUMENTS where products_id = '27'
[TEP STOP]

Please help!

Error was fixed, I just disabled the " Show Documents Tab " in the add-on's admin panel option.

Now can you please tell me how to show the filter menu in my store using this add-on? Thank you !

Edited by Stefany

This add-on comes with a very complete user manual, read that doc, and then come back if you still have questions !

and I'm a user, so you can see it working eg pots and pans on keukenlust dot be site

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

This add-on comes with a very complete user manual, read that doc, and then come back if you still have questions !

and I'm a user, so you can see it working eg pots and pans on keukenlust dot be site

Does it work with attributes as well? Like 2 red shirts, 2 blue shirts?

As kymation said in post 6 , it does not by default, the point I made is that I think you can fit it in if you wanted to but it does need work to do that.

Why not ask in the product specification development thread this question, some more people might notice and perhaps someone has made this extension, or is interested enough to join forces ...

I personally don't use attributes, so this is not on the top of my todo list ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

@@Stefany

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any drop-in solution available for what you need.

I have coded something like this up a while back where the filters were created based on what attributes were available on the currently being viewed items. Reviews and price were also included as filters. The nice thing was that we didn't have to do any extra database work or backend work. The sql code does get really in depth though on the listing.

The product specifications mod will probably work as well if you want to deal with a more complex / robust system and can figure out how to tweak it to your needs. Either way it will probably take some trial and error to sort it out.

Matt

Thank you guys for the help, I installed http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5997 because it is for attributes, and now I will tweak to become a filter, in a way.

If the store didn't have so many attributes, Product Specifications would have helped.

Good catch, didn't know it existed

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON