• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I think maybe the ‘Upcoming Products’ module would look better styled with panel-default rather than panel-info.

The glyphicon-shopping-cart icons in the Order History are getting cut off in bm_order_history.php

Regards

Ken

These things definitely need looking at. It's next on my list Ken, to be done tonight.

Was creating some functions for use in header/nav-bar. I need a third eye on this:

////
// return currency dropdown menu
   function tep_navbar_currencies() {
  global $PHP_SELF, $currencies, $HTTP_GET_VARS, $request_type, $currency;
  if (substr(basename($PHP_SELF), 0, 8) != 'checkout') {
    if (isset($currencies) && is_object($currencies) && (count($currencies->currencies) > 1)) {
	  reset($currencies->currencies);
	  $currencies_array = array();

while (list($key, $value) = each($currencies->currencies)) {
  $currencies_string .= '<li><a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('id' => $key, 'text' => $value['title'])) . 'currency=' . $key, $request_type) . '">' . $value['title'] .'</a></li>';
	  }

$currencies_link = '<li class="dropdown"><a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown">' . TEXT_NAVBAR_CURRENCIES_TITLE . ' <b class="caret"></b></a>' .
			  '    <ul class="dropdown-menu">' .
		 $currencies_string .
  '    </ul>' .
  '  </li>';
    return $currencies_link;
    }
  }
   }

It works as is, but I am wondering if the hidden variables as found in the function to submit the select form of currencies, is necessary.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I think maybe the ‘Upcoming Products’ module would look better styled with panel-default rather than panel-info.

This is probably in the eye of the person looking at it...and would be better changed by the shopowner to suit his/her style, no ? Let's see what anyone else has to say about it.

The glyphicon-shopping-cart icons in the Order History are getting cut off in bm_order_history.php

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-2334-bootstrap/commit/b4b8ac961b763247fdac5804e8d2a707d9dc145a

I am wondering if the hidden variables as found in the function to submit the select form of currencies, is necessary.

So long as the link takes you to the new currency, the hidden vars can be disregarded. I use a similar way of doing things in a few of my sites and it works well as links.

More testing would be very much appreciated: http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/

Any problem/inconsistency, no matter how large or small, please point it out.

If you have seen something that works well on an example bootstrapped site, please let us know. An example header area? An example footer area? An example widget that does the washing up....even an example design that you like the look of. We are all ears, without YOUR input the project won't reach its full potential. Thanks.

If anyone can spare a couple of moments, take a look at:

http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3

and resize the browser to a XS (extra small) (eg iphone) viewport. Or look at in a smartphone ;)

You should notice that boxes disappear in XS view, whereas they all appear as normal in bigger views. Let me know your thoughts on this approach ?

InfoBoxes (that's those in the side columns) that (should) disappear are; specials, whats new, reviews, manufacturer info, best sellers. What other boxes can "safely" be removed in XS view?

You should notice that boxes disappear in XS view, whereas they all appear as normal in bigger views. Let me know your thoughts on this approach ?

I'm not a fan of them disappearing completely....I think they need to go on a menu/nav bar....is it possible to have a menu/hav bar show up in XS view only? I also noticed that the Specials and What's New boxes still need fixing.

I'm not a fan of them disappearing completely....I think they need to go on a menu/nav bar

For what reason ? XS view = cut down browsing, no ? Provide an argument against that ...

I also noticed that the Specials and What's New boxes still need fixing.

I don't see anything wrong with them ? What needs fixing?

@@burt

@@Dan Cole

I agree with Dan. We should not be hiding content from users just because they have a small viewport. Also, those boxes would still load in the background and they would take the same bandwidth hit even though they aren't visible.

Maybe a static menu in the header or an off-canvas approach might work for these cases? I have also heard about moving non-essential links to the footer.

Matt

@@burt

:D

very nice, removing the boxes (specials, what's new, bestsellers.....) from the view area.

maybe should reduce the "new products for" items from 9 to 6 or maybe the shopowner could do that later. i personally don't like to scroll down too much until i can see the categories box.

Can YOU (burt) decide which box goes where in XS view? current setting is

1. header (logo & tabs)

2. breadcrumb

3. greeting

4. new products for...

5. categories

6. manufacturers

7. quick find

8. information

9. shopping cart

10. order history

11. currencies

don't need "order history" since you can see that inside the my account area.

quick find should evtl. be more upper or as dan cole mentioned a menu/nav would be cool like youtube (mobile) uses. see attached images (terrible quality, sorry)

then you could fit all the rest like specials, whats new, search evtl. languages & currencies inside it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something important,.........................great job burt THANK YOU!

Hi Burt

The Testsite does appear to be working as expected on my iPhone.

Whats New disappears from column left

Bestsellers, Specials and Reviews disappear from column right.

Personally, I would prefer to see all the boxes disappear from column left and column right and create an entirely new menu which appears in the header in XS view.

The menu icon which appears on phones (XS view) could be made to open a new menu page specifically made for phones.

This is probably in the eye of the person looking at it...and would be better changed by the shopowner to suit his/her style, no ? Let's see what anyone else has to say about it.

Agreed - maybe adding a couple of upcoming products to the testsite would encourage a response.

Regards

Ken

@@burt

For what reason ? XS view = cut down browsing, no ? Provide an argument against that ...

Given the last couple of post I assume I don't need to argue the point now?

For the Specials page..

The first info box that I'm not a fan of is the Specials Box...the font size seems way to small and I find it impossible to read...it could perhaps use a bit of color too. I also wonder if both the Specials and the What's New boxes shouldn't have view/buy buttons to be consistent with the other product boxes. Here is a snap shot of the Specials box so you can see what I see.

They don't have buy buttons in normal osc, so I don't think it's ideal to add them into this osc (maybe this can be done as an "add on"). The font size of the <del> price is controlled by .css - I'll look into this

and new products/what's new....

Yes, in standard 2.3 the price is shown in the new products for month box. I guess we could add it back in, which would bring it closer to how 2.3 presently is in terms of layout.

@@Dan Cole

Certainly not, please do provide the argument, as I agree with Tsimi - some boxes are not needed in ALL views (I don't know why shopowners insist on having 20000 infoboxes ;)), so disappearing them from XS view is a possible way forward, you will note that the change in the boxes ([dis]appearing] is not committed, so is not set in stone.

There is nothing more to change in the infoBoxes - the prices shown, no buy buttons (per present osCommerce 2334). The price is now shown per https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-2334-bootstrap/commit/4c5a9beec04d7e96c537227e68a93a63e20704f6 (would have helped had I uploaded the change to reflect in the live site, doh)

Prices in the new product for month module does need some attention, but that module is heading towards a possible redesign anyway...coming soon.

The Testsite does appear to be working as expected on my iPhone.

Whats New disappears from column left

Bestsellers, Specials and Reviews disappear from column right.

That is exactly as expected - read back a few posts ;)

Personally, I would prefer to see all the boxes disappear from column left and column right and create an entirely new menu which appears in the header in XS view.

The menu icon which appears on phones (XS view) could be made to open a new menu page specifically made for phones.

Something different again, please provide your reason for wanting this - in other words, argue the point with @@Dan Cole and @@mattjt83

@@burt

Hummm....I thought @@Tsimi was agreeing they were needed...maybe not...

quick find should evtl. be more upper or as dan cole mentioned a menu/nav would be cool like youtube (mobile) uses. see attached images (terrible quality, sorry)

then you could fit all the rest like specials, whats new, search evtl. languages & currencies inside it.

Don't get me wrong...

Certainly not, please do provide the argument, as I agree with Tsimi - some boxes are not needed in ALL views (I don't know why shopowners insist on having 20000 infoboxes ;)), so disappearing them from XS view is a possible way forward, you will note that the change in the boxes ([dis]appearing] is not committed, so is not set in stone.

I'm not a big of fan of info boxes per say but as I see it, those who are viewing our sites in XS mode only should (and I think shop owners would want them to) have a way to view New Products, Specials and whatever else the shop owner wants to turn on or off made available to them....for small devices I don't think you want to force it on them but I wouldn't want it to just disappear either. I think we need a way for them to see that information if we wish. Remember it might be the only way they ever see our sites so we should have the flexibility to display that type of information should we wish to. IMHO of course.

Hummm....I thought @@Tsimi was agreeing they were needed...maybe not...

well, they shouldn't appear as boxes. BUT if they could be put as simple text links inside a menu like youtube uses then why not.

the specials & what's new "box" are showing one random product at the time and for that one product it takes too much space away in XS view. (IMO)

well, they shouldn't appear as boxes. BUT if they could be put as simple text links inside a menu like youtube uses then why not.

Agreed

Bootstrap have made a menu specifically for phones – why not go with the flow.

Phone users do not want to scroll past lots of products looking for a links. All links should be in a simple menu. And that menu should be simple to find.

Another reason is that this menu could come from a simple list of links, easily edited by the site owner, to add or delete links as required.

Regards

Ken

Bootstrap have made a menu specifically for phones – why not go with the flow.

Phone users do not want to scroll past lots of products looking for a links. All links should be in a simple menu. And that menu should be simple to find

I agree too....I wasn't arguing to keep the info boxes but rather for a menu/nav bar so shoppers could link to key areas on the site....new products, specials etc. Anyway I think we agree and hopefully Burt will come around. :)

I'm being contrary for the sake of conversation. We definitely need to get rid of the vast majority of these crappy outdated infoboxes, that's for sure. What/How they get replaced with is debatable...

Present Infoboxes, if we change nothing:

best_sellers

categories

currencies

information

languages

manufacturer_info

manufacturers

order_history

product_notifications

product_social_bookmarks

reviews, search

shopping_cart

specials

whats_new

What I want the community to decide on is where/how we can do away with these infoboxes and replace them elsewhere.

EG: product_social_bookmarks goes directly on the product page, we can now nuke the social_bookmark infobox entirely.

Now you guys continue on that theme...

with the header being redesigned move the shopping cart infobox to the header and maybe even the search box if it will fit.

Personally the language and currency should be done away with and switch automatically with geo location (if thats the right term)

This is a big work what you do, I hope HPDL will be open to upgrade osc with this work or take lot of thing.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived