• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Critique My Site?

tinker74

I see in your source that you have:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />

Before :

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/redmond/jquery-ui-1.10.3.css" />

Switch them around so stylesheet.css in loaded last, otherwise you will have some layout issues with text elements, the stylesheet.css has some commands inside that overwrite things that are inside the jquery-ui-*

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

@Mention

@@tinker74

Hi Steven,

First thanks for the thread love reading the various opinions that such a thread sometimes produces

Well was having a discussion with Burt about sometimes just simply to much info on a site

We both agree that sometimes a bit less is more

You got to remember there are so many 1000's possibility 's with the osc addons and so much available now through the use of jquery

I think it is important not to loose the customer perspective when I started it was a bit of an ego thing

WOW !! .... I could do this and that , get this to move get this to pop up etc etc

Maybe that was the way once the designer ego getting in the way of a shopping experience I have definitely sinned in the past

Now I keep in mind that a lot of users are using tablets/mobile etc the time factor and display on mobile plays an important role

So the bells and whistles tend to go more towards the inclusion of social media / seo etc rather than nice effects.

Not to detract from the importance of a nice clean well balanced design

Now I tend to think in terms of providing what is needed for the customer to buy and checkout quickly and securely good images good description /delivery/returns etc

We have to think direct get the customer to the product offered comparison etc if possible in your case few nice links to a bit of

in depth info from your experience as regards the tinkering

Well good product niche market so just do what you do best TINKERING :D

sure you will get there

Regards

Joli

PS: sorry got kicked out before post was finished may be a ninja here :ph34r:

PPS : yes would be in template_top.php ( cascading stylesheets)

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

I dont see this line in template_top.php

Its gonna look a little different becuase of some coding, but just cut the

<link rel="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />

and move it down below the next line that you see with "<link rel="text/css" in it.

Dont worry about breaking anything, the more you break the more you learn.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

????

Not sure why look again I see it ?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/redmond/jquery-ui-1.10.3.css" />

do not mix up

The last stylesheet that is called in template_top.php will override all previous stylesheets (CASCADING STYLESHEET like a water fall)

so the last stylesheet that should be called is simply

catalog/stylesheet.css

the theme css is called in

/catalog/ext/jquery/ui

so as websource says do not worry just move the stylesheet to the bottom

this will override previous commands

Regards

Joli

I would say the text is too large on the page.

If you want to keep the text that size, make the left column boxes wider by changing

class oscTemplate {

var $_title;

var $_blocks = array();

var $_grid_container_width = 24;

var $_grid_content_width = 16;

var $_grid_column_width = 4;

in your includes/classes/osc_template.php

to something like

class oscTemplate {

var $_title;

var $_blocks = array();

var $_grid_container_width = 24;

var $_grid_content_width = 14;

var $_grid_column_width = 5;

The totals of content width and two of the column width must equal 24.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I notice the ui-buttons have grown quite large, I experienced this before after making text changes, I have a jquery ui reset that will fix it up.

in stylesheet.css add this to the very top:

/* ##############################################################################
# # jQuery-UI reset																  #
# #############################################################################*/
  /* bug fix- must call this font first on certian themes or the forms blow out? Ideas why? */
.ui-widget input, .ui-widget select, .ui-widget textarea { font-family: Tahoma; }
.ui-state-highlight {
padding:5px;
}
tr.ui-state-highlight {
border-left:none;
border-right:none;
}
.ui-widget, .ui-widget input, .ui-widget select, .ui-widget textarea, .ui-widget button, .ui-button-text, .ui-button, .ui-widget .ui-widget, ui-widget-content, .ui-accordion .ui-accordion-header a  { font-size: inherit; } 
.ui-widget-header, .ui-state-default, .ui-widget-content .ui-state-default, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-default, .ui-state-focus, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-focus, .ui-state-active, .ui-widget-content .ui-state-active, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-active { font-weight:normal; }
.ui-button-text {   font-size: 9pt; letter-spacing: 0.02em;}
.ui-corner-tl, .ui-corner-tr, .ui-corner-bl, .ui-corner-br, .ui-corner-top, .ui-corner-bottom, .ui-corner-right, .ui-corner-left, .ui-corner-all { background-clip:padding-box; /* prevent corner bleed */ }

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I notice the ui-buttons have grown quite large, I experienced this before after making text changes, I have a jquery ui reset that will fix it up.

in stylesheet.css add this to the very top:

/* ##############################################################################
# # jQuery-UI reset																 #
# #############################################################################*/
/* bug fix- must call this font first on certian themes or the forms blow out? Ideas why? */
.ui-widget input, .ui-widget select, .ui-widget textarea { font-family: Tahoma; }
.ui-state-highlight {
padding:5px;
}
tr.ui-state-highlight {
border-left:none;
border-right:none;
}
.ui-widget, .ui-widget input, .ui-widget select, .ui-widget textarea, .ui-widget button, .ui-button-text, .ui-button, .ui-widget .ui-widget, ui-widget-content, .ui-accordion .ui-accordion-header a { font-size: inherit; }
.ui-widget-header, .ui-state-default, .ui-widget-content .ui-state-default, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-default, .ui-state-focus, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-focus, .ui-state-active, .ui-widget-content .ui-state-active, .ui-widget-header .ui-state-active { font-weight:normal; }
.ui-button-text { font-size: 9pt; letter-spacing: 0.02em;}
.ui-corner-tl, .ui-corner-tr, .ui-corner-bl, .ui-corner-br, .ui-corner-top, .ui-corner-bottom, .ui-corner-right, .ui-corner-left, .ui-corner-all { background-clip:padding-box; /* prevent corner bleed */ }

@

Yes great had the problem also

Thanks for the info works a treat

Regards

Joli

@@joli1811

Awesome - I had almost forgot I created that a couple of years ago - Ive tore down my builds not to use jQuery-ui, in favor of first Zurb Foundation, and then bootstrap. I had one copy archived!

Its great when we get a hot thread going and others get to see that Yes, they can mold their shop into what they want.

I built a controller yesterday that adds classes and id's to the body tag allowing for great control over the layout and themeing. I'm wrapping it up today and would love to get some input before I release it live. Maybe I should start a new topic?

The only issue I have now, is that the 960 grid is not flexible and so it wont go responsive - of course thats not really a big issue at all, but I am trying to stay as stock as possible.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

@

Yes definitely worth a new thread think everybody benefits from these threads actually been so many great new threads started the last 1- 2 months hard to keep track :D

It is still a mystery to so many members the grid and jquery and how it works / interacts and your idea of a controller sounds fantastic

so go for it :thumbsup:

Regards

John

Small link here to the new thread would be great

Yes, please do make a "open discussion" thread...

Yeah.... I did, wrote a full page, posted examples, pros/cons, etc; etc; Then somehow I refreshed the page before posting. I even made sure my grammer and spelling were correct this time. That sucks.

I'll have ago at it again later.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Like it better, but I would put the emphasis on Tinker with a bit heavier typeface compared to playground.

I don't like the dark brown font color - I like it in general, but not with your logo or kind of products,

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Like it better, but I would put the emphasis on Tinker with a bit heavier typeface compared to playground.

I don't like the dark brown font color - I like it in general, but not with your logo or kind of products,

What dark brown font are u speaking of.......everything is blue and white???

sorry....i may be missing something

No do not listen to all that we say it is just always ideas

I liked your old logo better liked the metallic touch simply because you are tinkering I liked the little shadow effect you had and liked your old buttons better than the standard that you have now

But always just an opinion :D

I would have got the ui buttons metallic / silver also

think like G.L.Walker said best ....

the practice makes perfect do not let us guys take away from your individual look just a few tips to make you refine

So old logo was a cracker build on your logo bit like Rodney with the wheels / gears

Bit like rodney robot ( Rodney Copperbottom )

which was what I liked in the first place never lose the plot he said

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Robots_characters#Rodney_Copperbottom

So build from the smallest image you have and that is your logo and design the site from there that is what I always do

oh and get your buttons back in they were also nice

• 2 weeks later...

Archived