• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modding-Up a new 2.3.3.4 Install - Documented

Mort-lemur

OK I have found a bit of a problem following database transfer - The customer Login Details do not work, even though the customer exists in the database with a password.

When I try to log in as a customer my password does not work (my master password does work) - any Ideas where to look ?

Many Thanks

Looks like this may be something to do with the way the password is encrypted on 2.3.3.4 being different to that used on 2.2 - oh well its not a big issue to request a new password.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The password conversion is taken care of when the person logs in...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/391313-3-versions-behind-do-i-need-to-be-or-hire-a-guru-to-upgrade/#entry1661144

This has been my experience on every upgrade I have performed, so don't know why it has not worked within your site.

Thanks Gary,

Is that carried out by a field in the database? if it is I may have missed it.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Guess nobody knows where the password conversion is carried out...........

But I have finished optimising all my images now using the tool above, and ran the speed tast at http://gtmetrix.com/ again. Very pleased with the results as far as images go - the score against images has changed from a D to a B.

Next I will post the items that seem to be slowing the site down - if anyone has any suggestions or fixes it would be great to hear them (without having to go the (CDN route)

After several page speed tests decided my images were letting me down - as they were not compressed to their optimum - but what to do? 3000 images!

Did some research and found a programme called FileOptimiser - which can batch process image compression ,

Downloaded a few images from my site and ran them through this - some were reduced in size by 64% without a loss in quality.

Now downloading in batches of 300, optimising then uploading again.

Apparently also compresses other file types such as PDFs

May be of use to somebody....

Link: http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

This is handy. I've been manually optimizing images, one by one by one......doing these in a batch is nice. It even reduced my manually optimized images by 10% further. :thumbsup:

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

OK, Below are screenshots of the speed tests on my 2.3.3.4 install, one for pagespeed, one for yslow.

If anyone knows of a fix for any of these that is not to complex then I would love to know.....

This is handy. I've been manually optimizing images, one by one by one......doing these in a batch is nice. It even reduced my manually optimized images by 10% further. :thumbsup:

Likewise ........ Doing it this way probably reduced the time I would have had to spend doing the one-by-one optimisation by about 4 1/2 years !! :D

Guess nobody knows where the password conversion is carried out...........

Or perhaps you're expected to at least have a think about it...

// migrate old hashed password to new phpass password

and this would happen where? Of course when a password is inserted when logging in.

@@burt Thanks Gary - I did actuall think about it before I adked, and searched database and files - is this function of updating the old password to new format carried out in the database or in a php file?

This is how Im beginning to imagine you.........

:D :D :D

If anyone knows of a fix for any of these that is not to complex then I would love to know.....

regarding add expires headers I've seen a bunch of ways to do this in htaccess.

I am currently using:

<FilesMatch "\.(ico|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive on
ExpiresDefault "access plus 30 days"
</IfModule>

Then this following:

Header unset ETag
FileETag None
</FilesMatch>

Here's a reference on that. http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-speed-etags.html#With_ETags

Invoking disclaimer as in my signature. o:)

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

and Im at a loss how to include an expire for these.........

Same issue here with the same type source files. I did a bit of research a while back and from what I got was you can't to much about those off site issues. Maybe that was incorrect info but I could not find anything to the contrary.

@@Mort-lemur For these two files

the issue seems to be that they end in JPG and not jpg. I would rename the images in all lower case, and fix the code that calls them, but you could also add JPG to the FilesMatch string in your htaccess.

I believe that the expiration time of a file must be set by the site that is serving that file, so you can't do anything about the ones you are getting from outside. It might be possible to move some of those files to your site where you can control them.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@kymation Thanks Jim, Made a search and had a few instances of JPG - changed them all back to jpg.

Well all transferred and running on the live server now, - a few minor issues (missed config file changes, order statuses etc) but working well.

Had an issue with the epdq callback script - but that is sorted now, the solution is at this link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/395554-mysql-vs-mysqli-urgent-help-needed-please/

So my new 2.3.3.4 upgrade seems to have been a success, a slow process, but now I have a nice site, with a lovely MTS theme, running on php 5.4 many thanks to all those who helped me along the way, as I find errors I will post them here for completeness. all I need to do now is sort out a few mixed up products / options, but will ask that in another thread.

If anyone wants a look at the result - drop me a pm for my URL - but remember it is a live site, so orders will be processed.

Ok found an annoying thing - secure pages with an insecure item somewhere - but found an easy way to find what the culprit is:

http://www.whynopadlock.com/index.html

Worked a treat for me..........

Working on speed now:

Installed Configuration Cache

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8818

Not too bad to install and seems to make a noticeable difference in speed when navigating around the site

By adding the older SEO package, you've missed out on a lot of up-to-date features :(

Download http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

Take from it:

/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_product_opengraph.php

/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_gpublisher.php

+ their language files.

Install and configure them appropriately.

Also install and configure:

admin > modules > header_tags > twitter cards

If you want to see what a Twitter card is/does, make a new tweet containing this URL : http://template.me.uk/testing/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28 (or visit that page and click the "t" button in the share product box, then compare it to what happens if you click that same "t" button at your site).

@@burt

Sorry Gary - am I missing something? when I click the T button on either site it just opens a tweet window with a link in it?

Thanks

I did - from my site and just saw a link on the timeline..........

ah ok - just tweeted from your demo store - I see what you mean - let me check my setup............

Yea I can see how it works from Garys site - but my tweets are still just plain links, hmmm

Archived