• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modding-Up a new 2.3.3.4 Install - Documented

Mort-lemur

I have had a few problems whilst modding up my new 2.3.3.4 development store, so have had to do a clean install and start again.

This time I will be doing backups and testing after each mod I carry out, and I will also document the changes I need to make to various bits and bobs of code as I go along.

Most of the changes I do will be to the admin side functionality as I intend to use MTS for the shop design / Layout

So Far this morning:

Made First Full Backup and tested.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@Mort-lemur I am so with you... When I did my upgrade this past spring I learned my lesson after having to un-do 3 or 4 days of work. After that experience I made a file and DB backup and tested after every modification. I noted each backup file set with the addon installed or modification done - and only did 1 or 2 modifications (even if they were small) at a time. I kept each one until I was live for almost 3 months. I must have had 40 or 50 full backups....

Next mod carried out without a hitch and tested - working:

Display Tax Below Price. Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8160

20 mins to install and only need to make changes to language file to refer to Vat rather than Tax.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Next mod carried out again without a hitch and tested - working:

Simple Master Password. Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8335

Less than 5 mins to install

Time for another Backup....

Per the advice I offered in chat, and for anyone else reading this and thinking of upgrading;

don't get hung up on addons that you might have had in your previous shop.

there are usually better alternatives if you search for them.

Another change made Tested and working fine.

Products Cost / Margins Mod link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6242

Basically adds an extra field when you are adding a product to enter the cost price of an item and displays the % markup you are applying to that cost price when you put in your selling price - I find this invaluable when tweeking prices

15 min Install time carefully cutting and pasting.

@@burt agreed - and bearing that in mind as I stumble along....

Enhanced Contact Us now up and working:

Enhanced Contact Us: link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8323

Important: Also requires some stylesheet.css changes as detailed here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/383265-enhanced-contact-us-for-231/ read the whole thread as there are some other possible changes needed.

Another Backup me thinks.....

Create Account Email Validator installed flawlessly and working as it should.

Create Account Email Validator Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8938

However I have modded the version I use to also include the major ISP email addresses in the UK (eg. BT / Talk Talk, Sky etc). Only Comment I have on this mod is that the sort order should be set higher than the other modules on that page.

I would upload my modded files but the contribution is locked for public uploads - if you need a copy for UK use then pm me with your email.

First of the bigger changes now:

Google Feeder, Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4513

Uploaded and works fine, however, the stock google feeder does not work how I need - as it can either submit with or without tax (Vat) so in my case where some items are subject to Vat and others are not on the same feed, then I need to make several changes - I have documented these below for ease of reference.:

All in admin/googlefeeder.php

find:

products.products_quantity AS quantity,

Add After:

products.products_tax_class_id AS taxid,

Find:

$output .= $row->product_url . $google_utm . "\t";
}

Add After:

// Non Taxable Items Change - strips off tax added above - change division if tax rate changes
$the_price=$row->price;
if ($row->taxid ==0){$the_price=($the_price/1.2);}
// EOF Non Taxable Items Change

Find:

$row->price . "\t" .

Replace With:

// $row->price . "\t" .
$the_price."\t".

Thats It !

For this to work your taxable items must have a tax class id of 1 and non taxable items must have a tax class of 0.

Hope this helps someone - as it made me pull my hair out !!

Another change I had to make was on the shipping weights as follows:

if(OPTIONS_ENABLED_WEIGHT == 1) $output .= "\tweight";

to

if(OPTIONS_ENABLED_WEIGHT == 1) $output .= "\tshipping_weight";

Now another Backup and a Coffee !

Hi Heather,

Will guess we got a busy BEeee today :rolleyes:

Got a guilty conscious now guess time for me to get to work !!

Nice thread enjoy reading.

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

next one - a nice easy one:

.htaccess Website Optimisation, link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8927

1 min install - just copy some code into your catalog/.htaccess file - This mod gave big improvements on page speed tests on my 2.2rc2a stores.

Recently Viewed Box - Again an easy install and works as it should - no install instructions - so either overwrite files or compare for changes.

Recently Viewed V4 Link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/395130-open-discussion-on-better-navigation-and-categories/page__st__40#entry1685524

Another Back up.......

Smart Suggest Ajax Search installed without a hitch:

Smart Suggest, Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8926/v,23

Quite a few changes but not difficult....

Minor but Great mod - Reviewers First Name, Initial & City, 30 second install and works great

Reviewers Name, Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8933/v,23

On SEO mods Im going to pass on these for now - as I think these may have caused my problems last time.

Options I have are:

1. SEO URLs (Chemo)
  2. Ultimate SEO URLs 5 (FWR Media)
  3. Header Tags (Jack MCS)
  4. Header Tags Reloaded (Burt)

Not sure which way to go on these at the moment, 1,2 & 3 have install instructions, 4 does not and would entail a lot od file comparisons.

Ill decide later on which ones to use....

Well very impressed by the header tags reloaded which is the one without the instructions :D .

Never having used before and Google being the Boss this is the first time with the results coming maybe in 1- 3 months at least for me using a new website

I can only say from what I see in page source etc it is the HIT !!

A lot of new features times move on ....

So simply a believer in this module although I have ran Jacks with success maybe 50 times in the past

Up to you just my opinion.

Regards

Joli

PS: The SEO urls still not decided always liked the SEO URLs (Chemo) but been getting a few false positives lately I think as regards virus scan absolutely no idea why still studying .

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Fancier Invoice and Packing slip - seems to work ok

Fancier invoice and packing slip, Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8362

Backup Time......

You install mods like I do, slowley and carefully. I like this thread because you are bringing to light a lot of mods I was not even aware of. Sometimes having so many choices is a bad thing :)

I don't know if you have looked at this option before, but I keep a local copy of my site on my laptop. I do all of my installing and testing on that, then move it to the live site when I am sure everything is working as it should. I use a program call 'XAMPP' to run it on my laptop. Just a suggestion, and it may save you from having to re-do a bunch of work on a live site.

@@Snarg Hi, Thanks for the reply - All the mods I am using on this new site (apart from the newly developed ones) are ones I have used for years on my 2.2 stores - and I class them as "Essential" for my own personal method of running shops - each has its own essential use....

yes I have used Xampp before, but I find that it can be a little slow (maybe thats just my old computer). and also there are so many versions of Xampp with vairious versions of PHP & MYSQL.

So to ensure that this site works as it should on a "Real" server I have obtained a new domain (with a name I can eventually use associated with my "Real" Shops) and a basic hosting package on PHP 5.4.21 which is the standard on my live hosting.

I have then protected the whole public_html directory with a password to prevent it being indexed etc.

So my view is that if I get it set up as I want, then the transfer to being "Live" should be as painless as possible.......

Today I shall be mostly installing X-Sell ..............

I'm still on 2.3.3 but I was having problems with the google sitemap that uses chemo's seo.class. I also used his SEO urls. I noticed that a lot of the code was not using tep sql functions so when upgrading to 2.3.3.4 that would fail.

So I decided to go with USU5 by fwr media for the url rewriting and google sitemap as I could set it up similar to the way I had with chemo's (at first) and also have some multi-language capabilities (implemented last weekend).

I'm in the process of implementing parts of burt's HT contribution. I've used the semantics as implemented on the product info page, I currently already have description fields for categories and manufacturers, so I need to see if I move things over to his contribution, or wait for inclusion in the official package.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Trying to install Ultimate SEO URLs 5 Pro by FWR Media - but having problems in the includes/application_top file. 2.3.3.4 added LC_NUMERIC code, when the install is followed for this area it kills the site - I have posted in the support thread for that mod but it does not seem to be a very supported thread.

On SEO mods Im going to pass on these for now - as I think these may have caused my problems last time.

Options I have are:

1. SEO URLs (Chemo)

2. Ultimate SEO URLs 5 (FWR Media)

3. Header Tags (Jack MCS)

4. Header Tags Reloaded (Burt)

Not sure which way to go on these at the moment, 1,2 & 3 have install instructions, 4 does not and would entail a lot od file comparisons.

Ill decide later on which ones to use....

Regarding the SEO URLs, I have both installed on various shops. Net output for both is fine given the type URLs I set up. Plus side of Chemo's is Jack actively supports that. Of late anyway, FWR Medias is not actively supported nor has been updated which could be a problem for users with beginner type coding skills. But on the plus side @@Gergely has helped out in many cases in the support thread for this or that fix for the FWR Media version.

Regarding Header Tags..again I have both installed on various shops. Jack's support is amazing for his version, but with fundamental skills installing Burt's model is fairly easy.

Jack's HT has more bells and whistles some of which you may not want/need so you can either disable them in configuration or not install at all.

I would say either Jack's or Burt's are good to use, but in a bigger picture looking into the future the modular approach for HT SEO built into the core would seem to be the way to go.

Also, thanks for documenting this, I am following the thread now as I see good ideas and recommendations popping up all over the place.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Cross Sell (X-Sell) installed - This one was a bit of a struggle - as there are several errors in the latest release. I dont have time at the moment to produce a new install pack - but I will document the required "Corrections" below.

Cross Sell, Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8330 (snoopy 10 version)

This version uses the correct 2.3 buttons etc but also assumes that you have several other contributions installed - If it does not work for you then carry out the following changes in admin/xsell.php and catalog/includes/modules/xsell_products.php

• Remove all instances of p.image_display
  • Remove all instances of p.image_folder
  • Amend all instances of DIR_WS_IMAGES_THUMBS to read DIR_WS_IMAGES

In catalog/includes/application_top.php

change

$parameters = array('action', 'pid', 'products_to_but_id');

to read

$parameters = array('action', 'pid', 'products_to_buy_id');

in catalog/product_info.php

change

<?php
//added for cross -sell
   if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {
  echo tep_cache_xsell_products(3600); //added for Xsell
  echo tep_cache_also_purchased(3600);
   } else {
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_XSELL_PRODUCTS); //added for Xsell
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ALSO_PURCHASED_PRODUCTS);
   }
 }
?>

to read:

<?php
   if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {
  echo tep_cache_xsell_products(3600); //added for Xsell
  echo tep_cache_also_purchased(3600);
   } else {
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_XSELL_PRODUCTS); //added for Xsell
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_ALSO_PURCHASED_PRODUCTS);
   }
?>

All seems to work as it should - but needs some more testing to say for certain.

Please dont ask for support on this here - use the support threads for the mods themselves.

Time to backup now............

Trying to install Ultimate SEO URLs 5 Pro by FWR Media - but having problems in the includes/application_top file. 2.3.3.4 added LC_NUMERIC code, when the install is followed for this area it kills the site - I have posted in the support thread for that mod but it does not seem to be a very supported thread.

I have Ultimate SEO's, the 2-2.2d-11 version from Jack MCS, installed on a 2.3.3.3 shop and it seems to be running well. I am planning on upgrading to 2.3.3.4 soon as the changes look relativley easy. Thank you for the heads up that the upgrade will kill the shop. I realize this is not the support thread but if you get a fix, would you mind posting it here? Thank you.

Ill Post solutions in this thread as (or if) I find them....

Spent some time going through the language files changing them to my requirements - Vat instead of Tax, Address Line 2 instead of Suburb etc.

Also added a small horizontal menu to my admin page, which contains the links I need to access often (Paypal, Orderlist, Add Customer, Add Order etc) this isnt a contribution as such but is a usefull addition for me in the admin area. I will post the changes required to the three files if anyone is interested.

Archived