• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Open discussion on Better Navigation and Categories

burt

Having any type of hardcoded link is not going to be "good enough" for what we need to do. For the individual shop = fine and dandy.

It took me 5 days of hardcore coding to come up with the 1 (yes, one) line of code needed to get the filtering system I showed (which is 100% dynamic, you add weight into the product listing, the weight sorter shows, you add a new option with attributes into any product, these dynamically show, you add new attributes to an existing option, these show. With all that, which was a nightmare to get right (and not many people like the way I did it :)) ... even then that line of code breaks the split_page query (and I can't see why it does it, I think maybe a bug in the split class, I'm still searching for it)...

For the Mega Menu: The category structure for 2.4 is close to what is needed, but outputs the subcategory(s) on the fly. If someone (who can spare the time, and knows the codebase) can take the 2.4 category structure and rewrite to output all the subcats all the time, then it could be easily built into the core of 2.3.x

@@bruyndoncx - thanks for that share :)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which may be possible with css but the problem is to make this generic with this I mean to suit shops with a lot of cats we get back to the view more button surely that has to be php mixed with a bit of jquery so I am just not good enough at the minute to do .

Know a few great php experts here know a few great jquery experts one in particular that springs to mind would take a few great minds maybe a day or x 2 but how to get together :wub:

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@burt

even then that line of code breaks the split_page query (and I can't see why it does it, I think maybe a bug in the split class, I'm still searching for it)...

Just a quick check, but in my current split page class, the code assumes if you use distinct and group by, it is in lower case.

Using mixed, or upper case would give funny results or errors ... maybe that is the issue ?

if (strpos($this->sql_query, 'distinct') || strpos($this->sql_query, 'group by')) {
    $count_string = 'distinct ' . tep_db_input($count_key);
  } else {
    $count_string = tep_db_input($count_key);
  }

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

@@burt The split class is a major pain. It expects a certain organization to the SQL, and woe be it unto he who changes that. I spent a couple of hours once figuring out that you can't capitalize the SQL statements -- it only looks for lowercase. Edit: Carine beat me to it.

Building a Megamenu should not be that hard. You could use the Superfish module, since that already builds the category tree with all categories and formats it as nested Unordered Lists. Strip the unwanted formatting out of the format_data() method, add in your Megamenu classes, and it should just work. Maybe a couple of added selects in the module to make the options easy to change.

Be careful about using Mega menues on your site. There's a good article here that lists the reasons not to use one. I had a client pay me to install one, then a month later replaced it with a more standard menu. Their customers struggled with it, and that's a bad sign.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@burt

About category_tree 2.4 class

Looking at lines 94 to 100 makes me believe the follow_cpath setting plays a big part in this

line 37 in includes/modules/boxes/categories sets the follow_cpath to true in the setCategoryPath call

can you try forcing it to false again by calling this function with the false setting ?

function setFollowCategoryPath($follow_cpath)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

@@kymation

interesting article.

(amazon still uses kinda mega/ubermenu just not horizontally.)

i attached a package that contains the simple megamenu. !(HARD-CODED)!

Perhaps someone could take the concept of "mega menu" and work that into a "non hard coded" format then.

you can find the filter and max products/page code on page 4 of this topic

@@kymation

Yes see exactly what you mean and a great article.

I think I personally I was slipping into the old mode of more is better where I now I believe with the increased use of small screens etc it is not

Navigation has to be taking the customer to where they want as quick as possible

so just noticed your new post going to read now

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

code assumes if you use distinct and group by, it is in lower case.

Using mixed, or upper case would give funny results or errors ... maybe that is the issue ?

you can't capitalize the SQL statements -- it only looks for lowercase.

Holy Smoke, thanks guys. That was the exact problem! I have learned something new already this morning.

Now I can continue to update the code and get it made available :D

Thanks to both of you.

UPDATE:

this mega menu package reads now the categories dynamically. so if you edit/add categories they will show up inside the mega menu.

it shows the parent/top category and the 1st sub-category. multilingual tested and worked fine. cleaned up the css file got a bit messy in there. added an arrow down next to the products text inside the tab to show that there is more if you mouseover it.

this mega menu is far from finished but i think it went another step forward and if anybody would like to work on it and make it better, please feel free to do that. if something is missing or i forgot to add something please let me know, thank you.

this will be the last package i post, since i don't want to deviate to much from the main topic/target.

i have seen shops that have fixed headers or even a fixed header and left/right column. so i f i scroll only the main (body) contents scrolls up and down and the header / column stays always in place. is that a wise thing to do or would this be rather a stupid thing to do? what are the pros and cons for something like that?

I have a fixed header in my new store, that way I can display the importand info (cart value etc) and do away with the shopping cart box on the right of the screen.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt

the sheldon header/bar looks great. very nice effect.

the howard-style is the type i have seen often. and it makes kinda sense. as you said all the important info is visible all the time without having to scroll up all

the time.

@@Mort-lemur

may i take a look at your new store? you can pm me the link if you don't want to share it here.

@@Mort-lemur

Did you ever fix your formatting issues? If so, how?

Question on "Also Viewed" Module

I have installed the above module and it is Fantastic - works great - Thanks to all involved.

One small question - is there a way to "tidy-up" the text that is displayed? As you can see from the image below, the text is wrapped and this appears underneath the icon on a new line with a large space which looks rather untidy.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

@@Snarg

Not yet - when Gary started talking about Alpha and Omega Classes my eyes went fuzzy and I needed to lay down (w00t)

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick reply Gary. Maybe I'm being silly but I did download the V4 zip file and installed these files.

Looking at the few files inside, I had to conclude that the zip file in this post was an 'update' so I'm looking for the original add-on?

That is the recently viewed addon. Once you upload it, go to (in your shop admin); modules > boxes > {press install} > find the recently viewed and install it into the left or right column (whichever suits your site best). Now browse a few products and you *should* see a list of the recently viewed products in the session appear.

Slight problem. I have MTS installed and when recently viewed is set to true it also appears on my front page. In the modules section of MTS there are no boxes ticked for any box to appear on the front page. Any ideas how to switch off from front page please? or maybe I should speak to George (Multimixer).

Thanks

It should appear on every page. Doesn't matter where the person is in your shop, the recently viewed gives an easy way to get back to the product(s) they looked at.

But if you want something different to this => speak with George as I have no real world experience with MTS.

Mts include a feature "page profiles", where you can select what modules (e.g. boxes) you want yo have (or not) on each page, category, product etc. All osCommerce boxes files are modified in the direction of "separating data from execution", @@harperk received the modified file.

Archived