• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Header Tags - RELOADED support?

Tsimi

Hello

I have installed OSC 2.3.4BS with Seo reloaded, using the pages header tags module for Meta Title and description, further using a updated HT_canonical for products_new

I have not finished running a deep spider crawl yet but about 40% in, it seems that the only dupliacte titles are going to be

index.php with ?currency=USD, GBP, EUR (have not seen language= yet but no doubt it will show its dubious head)

and the info pages ie

privacy.php with privacy.php?currency=

With the info pages can i hard code the caononical like in the includes/languages/english/privacy.php, and have some kind of update to meta tags module bring in the canonical, or should i be loloking at the ht_caonical module to provide the canonical for the static info pages

also what to do about the index page as i assume that is a different subject altogether becuase of its direct link to the category pages

Regards

David

David

Hi

The following boxes in the admin area are pretty big and probably take up 2/3rds of the page width

The 2 boxes which take the space are;

Edit the Category Meta Description for SEO:
Changes the <description> Meta Element.

and

Edit the Category Description:

I may need to change the following code, admin>catagories.php   $category_seo_description_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name'], '', '', 'style="vertical-align: top;"') . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_seo_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '55', '10');
        }
        for ($i = 0, $n = sizeof($languages); $i < $n; $i++) {
          $category_seo_keywords_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_keywords[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', NULL, 'style="width: 300px;" placeholder="' . PLACEHOLDER_COMMA_SEPARATION . '"');
        }
          $category_description_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name'], '', '', 'style="vertical-align: top;"') . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '55', '10');

and

$category_seo_description_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name'], '', '', 'style="vertical-align: top;"') . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_seo_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '55', '10', tep_get_category_seo_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));
        }
          $category_seo_keywords_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_keywords[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', tep_get_category_seo_keywords($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']), 'style="width: 300px;" placeholder="' . PLACEHOLDER_COMMA_SEPARATION . '"');
        }
          $category_description_string .= '<br />' . tep_image(tep_catalog_href_link(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], '', 'SSL'), $languages[$i]['name'], '', '', 'style="vertical-align: top;"') . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '55', '10', tep_get_category_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

I have changed what was 80 to 55, is that correct.

Many thanks

grandpa

@@griffomd normal. This looks like a fairly new site with little in the way of addons, so you might like to swap the site over to the community responsive (aka bootstrap) build. That would be a little bit of work, but would make your site much more useable.

Edited by burt

@@burt Hi Gary,

Thought I would give this a go on my try-out setup of 2.3.4BS, and as the site is not very modified just did an overwrite of the files.

Now I get a white page on the catalog side with the following error:

PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare class ht_category_title in /home/username/public_html/bootstrap/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_category_title.php on line 13

I have triple checked that the file structure was maintained - any ideas?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

hmm also most of the ht_modules have vanished from my admin :(

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hard to say...

1.  make sure that the files are not corrupted in some way (when they uploaded).

and 

2.  make sure that some other file does not exist as so;  /includes/modules/ht_category_titleBACKUP.php (eg a file you might have amended and renamed)...

Silly question - are the modules already included in BS Gold? as if so I maybe tried to install twice?

Silly question - are the modules already included in BS Gold

No.  The SEO reloaded overwrites a couple of files.  All the rest are new files.

I'll try an install now on a new Gold and see what happens.

Edited by burt

Thanks Gary,

Did a restore and then painstaikingly did the install again - and this time it worked - funny old thing eh? Guess I made some silly mistake on the first install.

A couple of things I did notice were that the sql command would not run (maybe i started the install at some earlier date and cant remember)

also on the add product page some of the images (flags) are not displayed and the category screen layout has changed as per the screenshots below:

sorry - but also in BS Gold the Product Mini Description does not seem to function

Did Johns post make sense ? I never added that functionality to the shop side, as no-one (so far) wanted it.

I know this for Heather, I saw John's post a while ago but it he used it in an add on that I don't have and I'm interested using it straight out as is.  Even if it's wrapped up in one of the 28 days.   o:)

I'm sure he'd get a chuckle out of that.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Did Johns post make sense ? I never added that functionality to the shop side, as no-one (so far) wanted it.

I havent tried it as yet as I spent yesterday evening trying to get the pesky flags to appear as they should next to the new boxes am I the only one with a problem with this?

I will probably use the product short description in another way as per my non BS store. - ie I use the short description to display a description on the product page above the buy now box, with the main product description appearing below the buy now box. Makes for better layout especially on long descriptions

@@burt minor issue with this file set for bootstrap gold - in includes/languages/english.php you have the header titles and drop down defines for the header navigation menu....

//header titles
define('HEADER_CART_CONTENTS', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-shopping-cart"></i> %s item(s) <span class="caret"></span>');
define('HEADER_CART_NO_CONTENTS', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-shopping-cart"></i> 0 items');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_LOGGED_OUT', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-user"></i><span class="hidden-sm"> My Account</span> <span class="caret"></span>');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_LOGGED_IN', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-user"></i> %s <span class="caret"></span>');
define('HEADER_SITE_SETTINGS', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-cog"></i><span class="hidden-sm"> Site Settings</span> <span class="caret"></span>');
define('HEADER_TOGGLE_NAV', 'Toggle Navigation');
define('HEADER_HOME', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-home"></i><span class="hidden-sm"> Home</span>');
define('HEADER_WHATS_NEW', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-certificate"></i><span class="hidden-sm">  New Products</span>');
define('HEADER_SPECIALS', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-fire"></i><span class="hidden-sm"> Special Offers</span>');
define('HEADER_REVIEWS', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment"></i><span class="hidden-sm"> Reviews</span>');
// header dropdowns
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_LOGIN', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-log-in"></i> Log In');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_LOGOFF', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-log-out"></i> Log Off');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT', 'My Account');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_HISTORY', 'My Orders');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_EDIT', 'My Details');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_ADDRESS_BOOK', 'My Address Book');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_PASSWORD', 'My Password');
define('HEADER_ACCOUNT_REGISTER', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-pencil"></i> Register');
define('HEADER_CART_HAS_CONTENTS', '%s item(s), %s');
define('HEADER_CART_VIEW_CART', 'View Cart');
define('HEADER_CART_CHECKOUT', '<i class="glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-right"></i> Checkout');
define('USER_LOCALIZATION', '<abbr title="Selected Language">L:</abbr> %s <abbr title="Selected Currency">C:</abbr> %s');

these where moved to includes/languages/english/modules/content/navigation/cm_navbar.php

Also, your includes/languages/english.php file is missing... the below define.... not sure... maybe its not required?

define('TABLE_HEADING_LATEST_ADDED', 'Latest Products');

Alternatively, dump it straight into the core, the core needs SEO...

Looking for the vote button:

Yes>>Click

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.