• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Header Tags - RELOADED support?

Tsimi

HI

v 2.3.4

I have installed this addon, however things did get a bit messy with the database and then I did a site restore.. yes my usual blundering I'm afraid.. so I lost my categories for a while on the shop side.. thankfully, Heather kindly talked me through hat.

However, looking in my admin, there doesn't seem to be any 'tools' for me to use for SEO. My main reason is I really wanted to add a meta description for my entire site, as testing sites say its missing.

What do i need to do guys please? Should I re install the files in the package (leaving out the database step as that seems fine now)?

Thanks
Steve

@@steveinbaz

Look at the *yourlanguage*/index.php

You can also add SEO stuff when adding/editing a product or when creating/editing a category.

Also don't forget to install the necessary header_tags modules in the admin area like pages title, pages meta, category title, category meta and so on....

forgive me.. you mean in this file /includes/languages/english/index.php ?

There's a list of defines.. So where do I put the meta description?

Isn't this mod supposed to give me tools/areas in admin to edit these? Like each page or something? 

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');
define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');
define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');
define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');
define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Welcome to ' . STORE_NAME);
define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');
define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');
define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');
define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');
define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products available in this category.');
define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');
define('TEXT_SHOW', '<strong>Show:</strong>');
define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');
define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');
define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');
define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

Perhaps I need to re-install it?

hmmm....you are missing something there.

You don't need to re-install everything but i recommend you double check everything again just to make sure you didn't miss anything else.

<?php
/*
  $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2014 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');
define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');
define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');
define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');
define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Welcome to ' . STORE_NAME);
define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');
define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');
define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');
define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');
define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');
define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');
define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products available in this category.');
define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');
define('TEXT_SHOW', '<strong>Show:</strong>');
define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');
define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');
define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');
define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

if ( ($category_depth == 'top') && (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {
  define('META_SEO_TITLE', 'Index Page Title');
  define('META_SEO_DESCRIPTION', 'This is the description of your site to be used in the META Description Element');
  // keywords are USELESS unless you are selling into China
  // and want to be listed in Baidu Search Engine
  // define('META_SEO_KEYWORDS', 'these, are, the, comma, separated, keywords, used in the META keywords Element');
}

Edited by Tsimi

Thanks again Tsimi.. I added those two extra defines, so at least I have a meta description for the site. Don't know about the rest of it. It's the first addon I haven't been able to install correctly, so not bad going. :)

@@burt

I see where products_mini_description field is added to the table, and where the admin can enter info into the products_mini_description field when in the admin area. But, I don't see where it is used on the store side. Can you (or anyone else) point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Malcolm

Edited by ArtcoInc

@@ArtcoInc

If you merge the files and install SEO Reloaded the products_mini_description is not showing in the front end.

You can use it though. I for example use it inside the master_listing (Master products addon).

I added this to all 4 queries in the index.php pd.products_mini_description, and then call it with this

$listing['products_mini_description']

in my latest BS "still in buildup" shop i don't use this mini description anymore. Instead I use something like this

$prod_list_contents .= '<div class="description">' . substr(strip_tags($listing['products_description']),0,120) . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . READ_MORE . '</a></div>';

this cuts the normal description down and shows a ...read more link at the end of it. So in theory you could remove the mini description part from the categories.php and database OR you could use that to type something else inside it like Technical Specs or Special shipping info or anything that you think might be important for each individual product. It's like an additional field....

Edited by Tsimi

The overall site description is/should be inside the index.php of each language.

This seems really odd to my small mind - this is a modern revamped Header Tags Modification - yet changes still need to be made inside the language file rather than simply having the ability for a shop owner to add them via his admin?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt

(234bs-gold and SEO Header Tags - Reloaded)

Can we use HTML in a category name or a product name?

I have products (and categories) who's names are either registered trademarks or copyrighted. So, I want to indicate that with the correct copyright or trademark symbols, ex:  ©   ®

But, I also want these symbols to be a superscript, ex: BrandName<sup>©</sup>

When I use this in a category name ...

It displays correctly on the screen, but in the browser tab, it shows as the HTML code:

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

Malcolm

@@burt

*** Update ***

Ok, I think I've fixed this. This may not be the 'best' way to solve this, but ...

In template_top.php

Find: (around line 28)

<title><?php echo tep_output_string_protected($oscTemplate->getTitle()); ?></title>

Replace with:

<title><?php echo tep_output_string_protected(strip_tags($oscTemplate->getTitle())); ?></title>

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Garry, thank you for another great add-on (I definitely appreciate this one!).

But I need some help:

I have an "untouched" osCommerce Bootstrap configured with the Gablehauser template installed.  However, now my header titles appear as HEADER_SHOP, HEADER_CATEGORY, and HEADER_CONTACT_US (see attached snapshot).

Did I miss a setting or install it incorrectly?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Matt

post-334785-0-87000100-1425804352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt-AFS

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @@burt or whomever can give insight,

Excuse me if this seems off topic. I have been researching long-tailed keywords and how to apply them to my seo efforts. From what I gathered, long-tailed keywords are less competitive and gives an opportunity to rank higher in the search engine results for them. Also, they are keyword phrases ranging 3 to 6 keywords.

I would like advice on how to use Header Tags Reloaded to properly apply long-tailed keywords. Should they be used as an alternate Title or Mini Description? 

If anyone has used long-tailed keywords please share. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just recently installed SEO Reloaded and thought Id better do something with it. What I have noticed is that when I change

if ( ($category_depth == 'top') && (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {
  define('META_SEO_TITLE', 'Index Page Title');
  define('META_SEO_DESCRIPTION', 'This is the description of your site to be used in the META Description Element');
  // keywords are USELESS unless you are selling into China
  // and want to be listed in Baidu Search Engine
  // define('META_SEO_KEYWORDS', 'these, are, the, comma, separated, keywords, used in the META keywords Element');
}

"index title page" to say "Oscommerce online", it for some reason appears twice in the browser, right at the very top left (don't know what you call the area) If I delete the text, then nothing appears. Suspect it shouldn't do that, but am completely at a loss, as how to correct.

Any comments appreciated.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Grandpa

• 3 weeks later...

In looking at the instructions for installing SEO header tags reloaded http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864 I see that the reader is instructed to  'Upload or Merge' files. Having spent a significant portion of my youth cutting and pasting snippets of code into my OSCommerce site installing add-on, this caught my attention.

What does 'Merge' mean? Is that something other than manually cutting and pasting snippets of code into a file? Is there a program or something that will merge two OSCommerce files full of html, php, javascript and misc stuff? I have been unable to find a good answer googling or searching this site, and thank you in advance for direction on this. 

Edited by npn2531

Oscommerce site:

OSC to CSS, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7263 -Mail Manager, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8120

It means you have to compare the addons' files with your own, find the changes and then merge them into your files. Sometimes this can be done with a program like Winmerge (google), other times you have to manually make the changes, especially if your code is already modified by some other add on.