• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Header Tags - RELOADED support?

Tsimi

Almost all .php files should have no ?> final end tag. The only ones that need them are those that output HTML (eg, index.php, product_info.php and so on). In the case of osCommerce almost all files inside /includes/ and subfolders do not need the final end ?> tag.

Not having a final end ?> tag prevents the type of error you experienced.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

I used very long time header_tags_controller. Now I'm converting my site to 2.3.3.4 from old 2.2. I checked header tags addons and see this one is using new system introduced in 2.3 - header tags modules. It is very easy to install and not to many changes into existing files. Thats why I like it more than controller. However what I miss from controller is "fill tags" functionality. Thats why I started to think about creating default meta tags in case seo fields are empty. For products it is actually done - I just started to use osc_get_mini_description. Same approach I did for categories and manufacturers (just copy&paste existing osc_get_mini_description and osc_split_mini_description and change fields and tables). One think why I write is I had to change all coalesce sql calls. Currently it takes empty string as valid value. I changed it to this:

(use nullif functions for all seo fields): this way empty values are converted to NULL

here is one example from osc_get_mini_description fnc

$product_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(nullif(products_mini_description,''), nullif(products_seo_description,''), LEFT(products_description, 300)) as products_precis from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$products_id . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

I have not yet come across a "null" problem, but when I do I'll make more investigations - thanks for sharing the code.

On the other point about pre-filled items, it's best to not do this - the whole point of this addon is to allow/force the shopowner to create proper tags and descriptions manually. Good crafted words in these places are worth their weight in gold, a precis of the products description (for example) would certainly not be worth as much.

Hi,

Looks like I can confirm a similar problem when adding a new product where the Products Title for SEO: is not filled out using the latest version of reloaded (SEO Header Tags - Reloaded - 2014 01 10)

The Products Name: does not appear on product_info.php where by default if the seo title is not filled the product name should appear

this query seems to be the problem

$product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, COALESCE(pd.products_seo_title, pd.products_name) as products_name, pd.products_description, p.products_model, p.products_quantity, p.products_image, pd.products_url, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_date_added, p.products_date_available, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Regards

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Ok getting expected results with this but really not sure what I am doing what do you think ??

$product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, COALESCE(NULLIF(pd.products_seo_title,''), pd.products_name) as products_name, pd.products_description, p.products_model, p.products_quantity, p.products_image, pd.products_url, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_date_added, p.products_date_available, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Regards

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

i was just installing the latest version and realized that the ?> tag at the end is missing inside the

languages/english/

index.php

product_reviews_info.php

specials.php

testimonials.php

is that on purpose?

Edited by Tsimi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no desire to add the ability for shopowners to destroy their Alt tags in the name of SEO.

In other words: alt tags for images should never be used as an SEO strategy, not even as a mini part of it, and I won't help anyone do it.

• i have downloaded the SEO Header Tags Reloaded and now i need to add Alt Tag Optimization where do i find a plugin

•  
    do you know any thing about the Alt tag

•  
    OS commerece do not supopor this functionality
    for alttags in images

•  
    do you know anything about this and where i can find a plugin or some to fix this problem

•  
    i checked everywhere for same
    but no way out to solve it

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Burt,

I just finished with a fresh install of your contribution.

I'm not very experienced with OSc. What I need to know is:

Is their a way to bulk update the meta data of the products? I used the Easy Populate contribution to massively update titles, descr, images etc.

But now how could I be productive with the meta tags? If I start editing one by one it's gonna take me ages.

THank you