• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Header Tags - RELOADED support?

Tsimi

hi

actually i was looking for a Category Description Add-On for 2.3.3.x but could not find anything that works and during my search here (osC Forum) i read people mentioning SEO Add-Ons which include Categories Description so you could have SEO and Description in one. I searched for SEO and found this.

SEO Header Tags - RELOADED

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

I just love this add-on and its to bad it doesn't get the same attention as the other SEO add-ons. why is that i wonder?

great job on this one burt! :thumbsup:

this contribution reminds me of an old add-on i used in the days of osC 2.2MS2 called header tags controller.

it also has the category description field in the admin but won't show up in the category in the front end.

maybe i'm misunderstanding that function so if burt or anyone else could shed light in this i would really appreciate it.

and is this add-on compatible with ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5?

thank you and regards

Tsimi

Thank you so much burt! *bigbow* your index.php did the trick.

It's 0:43 here so i'll go sleep and take a closer look tomorrow (well, today) again.

It's a really great add-on and it deserves more attention. i think most people give up or don't choose this add-on because there is no (step by step) install manual.

If you allow it, i would like to create a step by step manual for your add-on. not really sure i can make it but i would like to try.

Thanks again.

Lambros

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Big Bear,

Just a question maybe a stupid one !

Product Mini Description: Used in the "product list" in Category Pages. I can not seem to find it :rolleyes: I see it in the database but should this be appearing under the category images or product listing or am I misunderstanding this completely ?

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

It is used in the product listing - but it is there for a future release of the reloaded package.

https://github.com/gburton/oscommerce2/commit/8856be0e53b1a7a39d9174974ebebf5c6b4e032e

If you want to make the functional change in the product_listing.php use the osc_get_mini_description function. It's all there, ready to use.

Ok got you thanks !

"I sought in GIt I could not see I guess it just eluded me". :thumbsup:

Just been studying today very impressed love the Products Title for SEO: great features often struggled with many similar products trying to differentiate and still have a decent title will be interesting to see what Großmeister Google has to say.

Thanks

Joli

Edited by joli1811

• 2 weeks later...

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

- update to the opengraph module to deal with the new names for some keys

If you only need this new module (in other words you have all the rest installed already), simply upload the following files to overwrite what you already have in place:

/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_product_opengraph.php

/includes/languages/{language}/modules/header_tags/ht_product_opengraph.php

/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

if ( ($category_depth == 'top') && (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('META_SEO_TITLE', 'Index Page Title');

define('META_SEO_DESCRIPTION', 'This is the description of your site to be used in the META Description Element');

define('META_SEO_KEYWORDS', 'these, are, the, comma, separated, keywords, used in the META keywords Element');

}

?>

Thanks @@joli1811 :thumbsup:

@@newburns - don't bother with Meta Keywords at all for the whole of your site unless you are selling into the Chinese Market in which case use them on the product pages only. Instead use the keywords as a internal product search facility - done in the setting in "meta header tag module" and the little change in advanced_search_result

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all together!

I just tried to install the SEO Header Tags - RELOADED. It seems to work, at least partially. Maybe i'm wrong and it does what it should do, i'm here to find that out :-)

I implemented all stuff without any error. But when i check the sourcecode of a product site, i only find the following entriy:

<meta name="description" content="Blair's Jalapeno Death Hot Sauce" />

Here i'm missing the metadescription etc. In the Administration of the Product i entered of course the Description text.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

Many, many thanks for any help!

Cheers

Patrik

Ok, that helps, thanks. Next question to you is "whats the problem" ?

In the screenshot, you show that the "product meta description for SEO" is "Blair's Jalapeno Death Hot Sauce".

In the code, it shows the meta description as "Blair's Jalapeno Death Hot Sauce".

Functionality is correct. Change the seo description in admin and the underlying meta code should change. Report back if it is still a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got you thanks !

"I sought in GIt I could not see I guess it just eluded me". :thumbsup:

Just been studying today very impressed love the Products Title for SEO: great features often struggled with many similar products trying to differentiate and still have a decent title will be interesting to see what Großmeister Google has to say.

Thanks

Joli

Hi Burt ,

Got my mini description working added a read more link what I was wondering is (w00t) thinking again (dangerous)

I have limited the description in the database by using varchar(128) instead of text but think it would be cleaner to limit the description in the code below as found some bugs if I did not use enough characters I would get a /> in the desc panel in admin and this would then break the link ...read more been (using ckeditor) or is this a stripslashes thing ?

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_NAME':

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$prod_list_contents .= ' <tr><td style="background-color: #ecf6fc;"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></b><br>' . $listing['products_mini_description'] . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . DESCR_READ_MORE . '</a></td>';

} else {

$prod_list_contents .= ' <tr><td style="background-color: #ecf6fc;"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, ($cPath ? 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&' : '') . 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></b><br>' . $listing['products_mini_description'] .'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . DESCR_READ_MORE . '</a></td>';

}

PS: added a quantity box also looks cool so question is have you any hidden gems / code snippets for the product listing that I can play with ?

Thanks

John

Edited by joli1811

Not 100% sure I'm understanding the question. The "mini description" is something the shop owner would type, so there should be no need for any of this...

I think it is related to your question in chat where you wanted to shortcut the mini description by using a portion of the main description ?

Not 100% sure I'm understanding the question. The "mini description" is something the shop owner would type, so there should be no need for any of this...

I think it is related to your question in chat where you wanted to shortcut the mini description by using a portion of the main description ?

No x 2 separate questions actually.

The way I see now correct me if I am wrong it is that the mini description is snippet from the product description.

If the product description is written correctly I see no need for the mini description to be any different we know google takes about the first 20 words plus the seo title for the search results so my thinking is the mini description should be basically the first part of the product description.

For me it means if the search bot does not get into the deeper / categories / products he could for example from the product listing find what he needs from the mini description and that would lead him then to the product page.

So should mini description be different or just a snippet from the full product description my opinion is it should be the same as long as the product description is written with seo in mind.

Now that then gets to my question when entering the mini description it is possible to enter 20 words or 50 which has the result that the product listing or whatever page is using the mini description looks unbalanced unless you count the words in admin better to have a uniform look easier to read for the customer and just looks tidy .

I limited this in the database by using varchar(128) but think it is better to limit on the actual page that is using the mini description

SUBSTRING_INDEX(pd.products_mini_description, ' ', 20) as products_mini_description,

now that code is probably silly but know you will understand better what I mean

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

@@burt

hi burt

i have seen you uploaded a new version. if i have SEO Header Tags - Reloaded already installed which files need to be replaced/updated?

any changes inside the SQL file? or is it the same as the version before?

Burt,

Just updated to the newest version and when i goto login a customer i get this error:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/tinker74/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php:1423) in /home/tinker74/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 104

Warning: session_regenerate_id(): Cannot regenerate session id - headers already sent in /home/tinker74/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 183

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/tinker74/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php:1423) in /home/tinker74/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php on line 50

How do i fix this please?