• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping rate calculations sometimes are incorrect, so the total cost that appears on an invoice is wrong. Is there any way that a customer can change the calculated shipping costs and/or tax amounts before the payment is made? Or is there a way to add an "adjustment" (either a plus or minus) field which can be used to adjust the total before the payment is made?

I don't think there is an addon that will do that for you, though I may be wrong. I think you will need to have it coded.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's asking for trouble to have a customer modify an invoice. Some will not hesitate to deliberately put in smaller numbers, even for the price, and present the invoice as proof that they were correctly charged, if you should happen to catch it. I would concentrate on finding out why the shipping and/or taxes are wrong, so that the correct invoice may be generated in the first place. It's possible that you have a very unusual shipping arrangement that isn't fit by any of the existing modules or add-ons, but you should start by describing how you want shipping to be calculated, and then the community here can tell you (if possible) how to use existing features to do it. It's possible that a custom module would have to be written. Likewise, for taxes, where do you have to charge sales tax for, etc.? Again, most likely you're just not setting up the standard methods correctly, unless you've got a product with unusual tax requirements.

Mr.Phil:

Thanks very much for your reply. Our shipping rules are a bit frustrating and I haven't found an addon that's always accurate, so I usually ask buyers to request a quote for shipping before checking out. I then calculate the true shipping cost which depends on the package dimensions, weight, and destination, plus taxes, and let them know the total. If the invoice had an adjustment line (similar to eBay), the difference (if any), could be entered and a true total calculated.

I'm thinking this would need to be custom-coded.

If the shipping cost is a function of dimensions, weight, and zone; you would probably have to code up a custom module to calculate it (perhaps a combination of existing shipping rate modules?). Is all the information you use in the product database, or will it depend on the box size chosen and how much stuff you can cram in one box? That can be a difficult thing to figure out, and almost impossible to automate. Maybe something could be done to have the order entered (basically a Request For Quotation), you calculate the shipping cost (and maybe the tax while you're at it) and enter it into the order, and the customer is notified by email to return and complete the order (make payment). I don't know if there are any existing add-ons to do just that. There may be an RFQ or "catalog only" add-on somewhere. You have to be careful that the customer cannot modify the order after you quote shipping and taxes. In your pricing, allow for some percentage of orders that will be cancelled once you've gone through the work of pricing the shipping.

An alternative: simplify your shipping rules to the point where automation can handle it. You might need to add a bit for contingency if you think you're consistently coming out a little low.

Archived