• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS vs. USPS Methods?

davidreedernst

Hello everyone,

I'm helping a client upgrade his OSCommerce site from 2.2-MS2 to 2.3.3. It's my first time using OSC, definitely a learning curve, but in general it's going ok. For background, I'm usually a web developer, so I'm very comfortable with PHP, HTML, CSS, MySQL etc., but am just barely understanding things specific to OSC.

In the 2.2 version, they are running the add-on called "USPS Methods", and they are happy with how it works. It seems that OSC 2.3.3 comes with a pre-installed module called simply "USPS", and looking at the source code for this, it says that it is based on USPS Methods. Being that it's now included with the core distribution, and that USPS Methods no longer seems to be actively maintained, I figured it would be better to stick with this add-on.

However, USPS in 2.3.3 is not doing what they want. Specifically, they want to be able to specify which methods to ship by, eg "Express Mail, Priority Mail, Media Mail". 2.2 + USPS Methods gives them a long list of options, they check the ones that they want. But presently, when they go to edit the USPS Module in 2.3.3, there are very few options, and they look funny.

post-322823-0-80172100-1374245759_thumb.png

What's with those unlabeled text boxes underneath the USPS UserID? Is that normal? I'm wondering if the picking-and-choosing I did while migrating their old database to the new one left things in some kind of bad state that's making those boxes appear and/or keeping the shipping options from appearing.

If anyone has advice for me I'd appreciate hearing it. Should I just get rid of USPS and install USPS methods? Is there some trick to getting USPS to doing what we want? Is what I'm seeing normal? Even if someone can show me what the module options look like when it's functioning normally, that would be a big help all by itself.

Thank you!

David

There was a recent announcement that the USPS had just changed a lot of stuff (renaming various services, etc.): http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/393466-heads-up-july-28-2013-usps-name-change-for-express-mail/page__hl__+usps#entry1675747 . It may not actually be "live" yet, so I don't know if it's affecting your client. I don't use this module myself, so I don't know if it needs/will need upgrading or manual editing to work now.

It's also possible that if you did a migration from 2.2 to 2.3 rather than a clean install (and database migration) of 2.3.3, that there is still something left in the code from USPS Methods that no longer works with 2.3.3. Unless you have some custom coding or unavailable add-ons in the 2.2 version, it's always better to install 2.3.3 and import/upgrade the database from 2.2. That way you end up with a clean 2.3.3 system and not what's referred to around here as a "Frankenstore".

There was a recent announcement that the USPS had just changed a lot of stuff (renaming various services, etc.): http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/393466-heads-up-july-28-2013-usps-name-change-for-express-mail/page__hl__+usps#entry1675747 . It may not actually be "live" yet, so I don't know if it's affecting your client. I don't use this module myself, so I don't know if it needs/will need upgrading or manual editing to work now.

It's also possible that if you did a migration from 2.2 to 2.3 rather than a clean install (and database migration) of 2.3.3, that there is still something left in the code from USPS Methods that no longer works with 2.3.3. Unless you have some custom coding or unavailable add-ons in the 2.2 version, it's always better to install 2.3.3 and import/upgrade the database from 2.2. That way you end up with a clean 2.3.3 system and not what's referred to around here as a "Frankenstore".

Thanks for the reply. I'd heard about the USPS changes, but I doubt that they are related to what I'm seeing. For one thing, the installed USPS Methods module on the OSC v 2.2 is still working fine. As for the 2.3 installation, I believe that "clean install (and database migration)" is a good description of what I did here. The database part felt pretty improvised, though, I just went through the tables looks for things that had changed. In some cases like lists of states and countries for shipping, i assumed that the fresh OSC 2.3 had better information than the old 2.2 that we already had running. That still seems like a good assumption to me, but I suppose it could be related to my problem.

But, really, mostly I'm looking for advice as to whether the plain USPS Module that comes with OSC 2.3 will do what I want if I can get it working... or if I should install USPS Methods instead. Anyone have experience with one or both of these?

• 3 weeks later...

David,

What did you end up doing? Did you ever get an answer? I am also using 2.3.3, and find that the USPS module that came with it lacking in functionality like I had with 2.2.

I would like to know which USPS Method or module would work with 2.3.3 that also has the latest USPS changes in it.

Anyone?

• 5 months later...

The current module is lacking what I find the most necessary....the ability to enter package sizes! In the previous version, I could enter package sizes that would need to be charged a USPS dimensional rate, but there is no option to do this is the newer module. This can end up costing us a significant amount of money for large orders shipped to zones 5-8. I am surprised this important detail was left out of the new module.

• 1 month later...