• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

FYI Yahoo now uses bingbot

discxpress

FYI (in case you didn't know already)

According to a Bing blog post, Bing and Yahoo! has formed a search alliance since some time in 2010. So if you're wondering where Slurp and MSNbot has gone, then that should explain it.

For more info read: http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/search/archive/2010/08/24/exciting-news-from-bing-and-yahoo.aspx

Also use your favorite search engine to find out more. Maybe you should adjust your robots.txt files and other SEO efforts because of this change.

Those search bots are still sent out. There's no need to adjust anything due to this.

According to somethings I read and wikipedia, MSNbot and Slurp were discontinued. I know one must sign up for Yahoo! Search Marketing through Bing Webmaster Tools.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have View Counter installed on my site and it shows being accessed by Slurp and msnbot. Bing handles the searching for Yahoo but Yahoo decides what to do with the results. Bing used to use msnbot but changed it to bingbot then changed their mind and decided to use both, as well as others. You can see a full list of all user agents here.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks @@Jack_mcs. It's a shame that the authors who wrote the articles and updated wikipedia would just leave people hanging and not explain what you just did. It only took you 4 sentences. I can imagine the amount of shop owners that have changed their robots.txt files and made SEO adjustments because of that.

I'm glad you replied.

P.S.: I looked at the user agent lists and the Bingbot is not in the list and it says that Slurp is an Inktomi robot used for Yahoo! China. The list hasn't been updated in just over 3 years. The last update is located on the right side of the page below the "Legend" box.

The lists are fairly common on the web. Here's one last updated on April, 2013 according to google. One really shouldn't be making seo adjustments based on search bots though. Updating the spiders file is important so that they are identified but I can't think of any other reason why a change should be made because something changes with the search engines. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The lists are fairly common on the web. Here's one last updated on April, 2013 according to google. One really shouldn't be making seo adjustments based on search bots though. Updating the spiders file is important so that they are identified but I can't think of any other reason why a change should be made because something changes with the search engines. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

You're point is exact which is why I'm glad you weighed in. I'm glad you cleared that up before I misled anyone.

DO NOT POST SUCH ISSUES IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived