• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods addon

JohnT1945

Hi another newbie question,

I have just unpacked the UK postage addon and there only 2 csv files. I think from reading the info there should have been more files.

Could anyone tell me if this is correct and if so where to download them from.

Regards,

John

Go back to the addon page and download the full package by uksitebuilder dated 5th April 2011. Thee is two for this date, the first on is the full package and stated this in the text.

Follow the install instructions and then upload the new prices excel files from the top download. You may have to play with the prices to reflect the new pricing structure from Royal mail that came into effect on 1st April this year.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I thought when you said that you had unpacked the module, that you knew where it was. Sorry. It can be found here http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4473

You will have to adjust te prices to suit your store and there is mno module to cover the size of a parcel as oscommerce does not require a size to be added to the product.

Yes thanks for that Steve, I found it in the history section.

I have picked up the Royal Mail price list today and, I have noticed the prices are split into Europe, World zone 1 and World zone 2.

As you know, In the spread sheet and in OSC there are only 2 zones: Europe = zone 1 and rest of World = zone 2.

What do people do about the difference in cost between World zone 1 and World zone 2? For example up tp 250g Europe £3.50, World zone 1 £4.50, World zone 2 £4.70.

Any ideas on this one please/

I personally do not use World zone1 prices and use the world zone 2 prices for all non europe countries. There is very little difference and as the final cossts in oscommerce is called postage and packing the diference just gets lost.

If the truth be really known, the complete package wants updating to match the new price structure, but until oscommerce includes a product dimensions area its not really worth bothering with.

Thanks Steve,

Yes I think we could loose the difference in P&P. I did think of looking at the php to see if it would be possible to duplicate one, alter it for Zone 2 and rename and save.

• 2 weeks later...

,Well that's gone wrong then! used the default prices that came in zip file. placed an order for 1 cd the weight was set at 100gr for the product the shipping cost was about £50 and it would ship in 15 packages.

Changed all the prices to 2013 rates it stopped working. Took out maximum shipping weights and it still does not work. I read somewhare that you can;t just RM shipping rates. What else has to be in the shipping modual please.

If the module stopped working after you changed the prices, what happens when you put the old prices back. I expect you have made an error when entering the new prices. The price layout should be something like

0.5:2.03,

So an order up to 0.5kg will cost 2.03.

Also with the RM modules be sure you have set up the module correctly. There are settings for minimum weight to ship, maximum weight to ship, split shipment on maximum weight to ship, minimum value to ship, maximum value to ship, split shipments on maximum value. All these setting need setting up on each module.

Once set up correctly these modules will work as they should. The trouble is that the module now wants updating to neet the new categories and divisions that RM are now using. The trouble is that as you know, RM use size to determine package size and that will also need to ne added to the modules. Too much work for a store owner like me I am afraid.

Thanks Steve,

I think I will re install every thing from scratch. In the instructions it says you can not just use the RM modules on their own. What else has to be in shipping, what do you use?

By the way I googled RM shipping and found on Zen Cart some one has devised a Module for the new RM set up i.e. small and large parcels. Do you think it would be a lot of work to convert it for OSC?

The RM modules will work on their own. I only use the RM modules on my site for delivery.

The zen cart module may convert across. The biggest problem will be getting the size of the product from somewhere as it is not currently added to the products in oscommerce. I dioo think there is a miodule for this somewhere already, but in my store with over 1500 product lines it will take too long to add a dimension to every product.

I have had another look at zen cart module and they have changed some of the php files. will have to look to see if I can find an update.

I wold be interested to see your site! would you care to pm me with the url?

@@JohnT1945

The weight that is entered in the product page is not really set to anything. If you are using kgs 1kg will be entered as 1.00. 10g will be entered as 0.001 but you may have to alter your field in the database to get the extra decimal place. I think it is set as 5:2 and you may have to alter it to 5:3.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been doing other things recently and come back to shipping. Configured admin to show product weights, which I have changed to .100 for 100gr.

In check out the weight has been increased by 3kg. My cd now weighs 3.100 . This is driving me bonkers. Does anyone have a configured Excel spread sheet I could pinch please? In this case Size does not matter.

I don't believe this! I have just added 3 Membership options for our society each with no weight. Shopping cart shows a weight of 3kg. Any ideas please.

Now WHY did I not think of that Steve. Sorted. I have just been looking in the data base to see if it was being sent from there.

Would you mind telling me the minimum an maximum weights you use for Royal Mail rates? Then I think I can put that bit to bed. Thanks for your experienced help.

That was solved.

I had 3kg set as Tare.

The next thing I don't understand is a product weighs 100g but the postage charge is for the next band up.

Do I have to re enter the weight to 0.999g?

. The same happens for all the weights. They also are priced at the next band.

Thanks.

Archived