• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

customers country keeps changing

pete2007

For some reason the country of my customers accounts keeps changing from United Kingdom to Afghanistan.

This is very strange but its been happening for awhile now, which results in the customer being charged for international postal prices instead of local prices.

I've searched through the forums but unable to find anything related to this error, does any know how this can be fixed?

Thank you in advance.

@@pete2007

Just a guess, but you changed the default country / state selector to the Ajax version right ? if so, change it back. I have seen increasing issues with the Ajax country / state selector and the newer browser versions.

Chris

@@pete2007

Just a guess, but you changed the default country / state selector to the Ajax version right ? if so, change it back. I have seen increasing issues with the Ajax country / state selector and the newer browser versions.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if we changed this, but I know when the customer registers an account the country is set to United Kingdom as default, can you remember which file would need to be modified?

As suggested, a useful first step would be to look at the html of create_account.php - and specifically at the drop-down list. It is well and good if

<option value="225">United Kingdom</option>

has been changed to

<option selected value="225">United Kingdom</option>

or

<option value="225" selected="selected">United Kingdom</option>

but it should not say something like

<option selected value="1">United Kingdom</option>

because country no 1 is Afghanistan.

As suggested, a useful first step would be to look at the html of create_account.php - and specifically at the drop-down list. It is well and good if

<option value="225">United Kingdom</option>

has been changed to

<option selected value="225">United Kingdom</option>

or

<option value="225" selected="selected">United Kingdom</option>

but it should not say something like

<option selected value="1">United Kingdom</option>

because country no 1 is Afghanistan.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look in create_account.php and cannot find this code

For some reason the country of my customers accounts keeps changing from United Kingdom to Afghanistan.

Are you saying that new accounts are coming in as Afghan, or that old accounts are changing from UK to Affie? In the former case, is the country selection default now no longer UK, but is Afghanistan (the first one on the list)? Maybe you could do something to change the default back, if you can find what changed in the first place. If existing (old) accounts are decaying from UK to Afghanistan, that sounds like a serious problem or even a hack.

Following up on Pete's advice, confirm that the order page is giving Afghanistan as the default choice (and your customers are overlooking this and failing to change it). You WILL NOT find the code he listed because it creates that code from the database list of countries. For some reason, it's probably now not supplying a default, or the wrong default. Did you or your host change ANYTHING in code or configuration just before this started happening?

Are you saying that new accounts are coming in as Afghan, or that old accounts are changing from UK to Affie? In the former case, is the country selection default now no longer UK, but is Afghanistan (the first one on the list)? Maybe you could do something to change the default back, if you can find what changed in the first place. If existing (old) accounts are decaying from UK to Afghanistan, that sounds like a serious problem or even a hack.

Following up on Pete's advice, confirm that the order page is giving Afghanistan as the default choice (and your customers are overlooking this and failing to change it). You WILL NOT find the code he listed because it creates that code from the database list of countries. For some reason, it's probably now not supplying a default, or the wrong default. Did you or your host change ANYTHING in code or configuration just before this started happening?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your message.

All new accounts are fine, this is only happening on occasion with regular customers, they are changing from Uniter Kingdom to Afghanistan. I have checked and United Kingdom is still set as default so I don't think this is the issue, some else is happening.

Archived