• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Selling OS commerce derivative work

redhat19

Hi all,

At a client's request, we modified a version of OS Commerce so much that it now does not look anything close to OS commerce.

We've added so many more new modules and functionalities that I would say the shopping cart we now have is just 50% OS Commerce.

We are now thinking of offering this solution to other companies in the same industry as our client.

The question is: how should we charge/bill for making this solution available to these other entities (bearing in mind Open Source rules and conventions)?

I would appreciate any useful response.

Thanks.

You can basically charge whatever you like, BUT since its based of oscommerce it will have to stay GNU / Open Source so the ones that buy it are more or less free to do what they like with it.

If you can separate out your new work (not derived from osC, but written from scratch by you) into separate files, my understanding is that you could put those under whatever license and/or copy protection you want. Anything that started out as osC files, though, have to remain under the appropriate license, no matter how much you've changed them.

If you can separate out your new work (not derived from osC, but written from scratch by you) into separate files, my understanding is that you could put those under whatever license and/or copy protection you want. Anything that started out as osC files, though, have to remain under the appropriate license, no matter how much you've changed them.

Not quite, aslong as they are using any of the oscommerce functions they will be GNU.

You can put your own license on things like design and graphic elements though.

Nick, I'm curious about this, not being fluent in GNU. Let's say I wrote a featured products module copying the code of one those already available. Since those modules use oscommerce code, my new project would be under GNU. But let's say I rewrote all of the code, making changes like using MySQL _query instead of tep_mysql_query (along with all of the other functions). That, from what I understand, would not be under GNU. But since I would need to use the index.php file of oscommerce to load my new module, does that make it fall under GNU again?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It would be hard (not impossible..LOL) to make a "working" featured products module without using any oscommerce functions, ie. you could not use the oscommerce link, oscsid, image, cart, currency, language ++++ functions.

But if you went through all the work of creating a module which had its own separate admin, which was totally separate and not using any of the oscommerce functions at all then you could most likely release it under whatever license you like.

Personally i don't think it would be worth the time to try to make a module like that which interacts with the cart functions without using any of them and still working seamlessly.

But if you were talking about something like for instance a POS, then that could "easily" be made only connecting to the db and not using any oscommerce functions at all.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer or a legal expert so do not take anything i say on this mater at face value, if this is something which you intend to do check it with some appropriate legal counsel.

No, I don't intend anything like that. It is just something I've been curious about due to encrypted packages like Magic SEO and Magnetic One. Thanks for the explanation.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No, I don't intend anything like that. It is just something I've been curious about due to encrypted packages like Magic SEO and Magnetic One. Thanks for the explanation.

If you buy it ask for the unencrypted package.

If you come across a client who has such, ask them to ask for the unencrypted package.

If the vendor will not give an unencrypted package, please report it to the osCommerce Team.

Archived