• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

getting a strange server error when trying to log in to my store

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

does this have something to do with my making the config.php file read only or deleting the install folder?

any help is apreciated.

No, it shouldn't. That error is a catch-all error and can be caused by many things. You should ask your host to look at it as mentioned in the error. You could also look in the error log in the directory that is failing and the error log of the account, if you know how to get to it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

does this have something to do with my making the config.php file read only

Deleting the install folder should not have this effect but you could change the permissions to 777 / give everyone full permissions and see what happens.

If it start working then you know wat it is and see which permissions work and which give a 500 error

HTH

G

@@jerome1962

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

A 500 (Internal Server) error can be the result of 777 permissions. Many servers are configured to prevent access to folders or files with "world writable" permissions. So, changing the folder permissions to 777 might just generate another 500 error on top of the one you have now. You can try it, but just be alert to that.

If you blindly followed instructions to change permissions to 777 all over the place, and your host doesn't allow it, that could be causing your problem.

True, some server don't like 777 (human speak for re configured to fall over if any files are changed to 777).

Maybe I should have said, put the permissions back to how they were before you started getting the error mesage.

Cheers

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thank you I will contact my host as well as reset the permissions on the config file.

will let you know how it went

Archived