• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Super Fish Navagation Menu Vertical Superfish

This there away to get superfish menu in to a box, currently i have got it running in my header.php

i have messed around for days searched the web and know one can answer the question.

i modifided this project to run with osc 2.3.3 http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8127

vertical.jpg

it just uses a require(DIR_WS_MODULE 'cat_navbar.php');

and just a few quick scripting in header.php with added files and css..

has any one figured out how to do this any help would be nice...

• 2 weeks later...

I've run out of time to play with this, so here's what I've got so far. This is an adaptation of a pulldown categories menu using superfish that I wrote for a client. It works but it's not very pretty yet.

I need some volunteers to test this. Put this on your test site and tell me what you think. It should be considered Beta code, so don't try this on a live site. I'm not responsible if it looks ugly, fails to work, or blows up your entire site.* Be warned. Oh, and it requires PHP 5+. I haven't scrubbed it of all the modern code.

Regards

Jim

*It didn't blow up on my test site, but my site is not yours.

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi mirageco@ and @@kymation,

dont forget to test on touchpad. I forgot superfish some weeks ago... but the truth was an old version.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I don't currently have a touchpad device to test with. Given the lack of response to my offer, I don't think anybody else will be testing this.

Regards

Jim

Hi@@kymation

Will be testing this week was working on it previously but could not get to work so interests me I get did an interesting hybrid working horizontal megamenu/superfish link not the way I wanted yet :) but who knows

https://github.com/joeldbirch/superfish

Think it would be nice to have in the addons section

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@kymation

I need some volunteers to test this. Put this on your test site and tell me what you think. It should be considered Beta code, so don't try this on a live site. I'm not responsible if it looks ugly, fails to work, or blows up your entire site.* Be warned. Oh, and it requires PHP 5+. I haven't scrubbed it of all the modern code.

Jim, i'll try this on uniserver. Looked over the download...no instructions...in addition to placing the two module files and modifying the template top with the superfish code looks like I'll need to download and add the superfish js and css. Anything else? I am familiar with superfish but not fluent.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hi@@kymation

I get did an interesting hybrid working horizontal megamenu/superfish link not the way I wanted yet :) but who knows

If you mean that the initial category list extends beyond the visible screen height, that's something I ran into when experimenting with superfish. I've seen alternative layouts, which may be a solution but haven't gotten around to trying any out.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

The superfish files are included in /catalog/ext/jquery/superfish/. The only thing that I know is missing is a modification of /catalog/includes/functions/cache.php. The site this was coded for did not use cache. Otherwise everything should work.

Regards

Jim

If you mean that the initial category list extends beyond the visible screen height, that's something I ran into when experimenting with superfish. I've seen alternative layouts, which may be a solution but haven't gotten around to trying any out.

Yes Steve woud have loved to have stopped the category count about x 10 and then go sideways to keep in visible screen but guess I still have a bit of learning to do :)

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

The Superfish menu that I posted above pushes the subcategories off to the right, saving the vertical space they would occupy in the box. Of course this won't help if you have too many top-level categories, or too many subcategories for that matter. It also doesn't show the category you are in when in a subcategory.

I would love to find a good solution for large stores that have lots of categories. I haven't found anything on any site that does everything right.

Regards

Jim

@@altoid

The superfish files are included in /catalog/ext/jquery/superfish/. The only thing that I know is missing is a modification of /catalog/includes/functions/cache.php. The site this was coded for did not use cache. Otherwise everything should work.

Regards

Jim

OK, the site on Uniserver doesn't have cache enabled so I'll go without that first, once I get things working, I'll look into setting up cache and check things out. I'll let you know.

Thanks

@@kymation

Installed Jim, the blue theme pretty much matches my uniserver site so it looks ok to me. But my wife says I am aesthetically challenged so factor that in my assessment.

I have 11 top level categories so they appear fine.

Top level expands/drops vertically.

Second level expands right horizontally then drops vertically.

I have sub-categories that have a lot of same level members and they drop off the view-able portion of the page.

Hover/expand timing is good for me as is.

Also , the module admin side I see this:

Content Placement

Where should the module be loaded?

But no options are given. Not that I'd change the current placement.

So preliminary I'd say the module has good potential and worth consideration for live use....the off the screen drop down notwithstanding.

Thanks

The Superfish menu code has no way to keep the whole menu inside the viewport. This is a difficult problem to solve. The workaround is to control the number of categories in a menu. This is not easy or sometimes even possible. I would like to see a better solution if anyone knows of one.

The Content Placement thing is a bug. This code was adapted from a header pulldown menu, so that selection was different. I need to fix that. Thanks for reporting the bug.

Regards

Jim

I can live with the matter of the categories going beyond the visible screen. Unless there's a reason to not use this on a live shop I think I am going to do install it on a shop that's getting a make over anyway.

Do you think caching is a big deal with the superfish style of menu?

Cache is useful if you have a really big categories menu with a lot of categories. It can speed up the site considerably. If it's fast enough as is, I would say it's safe to use.

I will fix the issues with it as soon as I get a chance. I'm hoping later today, but don't hold me to that.

Regards

Jim

OK thanks.

Another question, maybe it's nothing more than a setting issue, but when a primary category is hovered over, can the displayed categories be set to show over to the right then down rather than straight down as they are now? As is the category subs displayed after the primary hide what's below.

Whereas if they behaved like sub categories with the right arrow > they would not cover the categories below.

I looked through the php and css and no luck finding a setting

Edited by altoid

The subcategories are to the right in my test site. See this screenshot. They are not the correct distance over, but that's a setting in the Superfish CSS. I need to tweak that. I find it interesting that yours works differently.

Also, the color of the primary categories is derived from the theme, but the subcategories come from the Superfish CSS. I've been wondering how to handle that. Would it be better to make all the categories come from the Superfish settings? I'm not sure that they can be made to use the theme colors.

Regards

Jim

screenshot attached of what i am seeing....

as well, regarding styling, personally I am OK with doing that via the CSS but it is very convenient that level one is derived from the existing style.

That's very odd. I was using a (mostly) stock osCommerce install in a subdirectory on my live server. The screenshot I posted is what it should look like. I then tried it on a completely stock version of osC 2.3.3 and got what you are seeing. This is weird. Possibly it needs an updated version of jQuery to be compatible with the version of Superfish I used. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to work on this. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the testing and the bug reports. That's a lot of help.

Regards

Jim

As you get the time is fine, the world will still be turning regardless. thanks