• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to sell My Add-on

devpower

Hi Friends,

I have developed an Add-on for oscommerce. I would like to sell my add-on. Can anyone help me to sell my add-on?

what are the steps to be taken to sell my add-on?

Thanks

By definition, if it is an oscommerce addon, it has to be free (open source). If it does not use any of the oscommerce code, you can sell it but you can't upload it here. At least, this is my understanding of the rules - I may be incorrect.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@devpower

You can sell your commercial add (doesn't have to be free as long as it's licensed properly) on on your own website and market it anywhere you would like, except in this forum. You may want to become a corporate sponsor and then place a banner on the top of this forum but you would have to check into it with the forum owner.

Chris

By definition, if it is an oscommerce addon, it has to be free (open source). If it does not use any of the oscommerce code, you can sell it but you can't upload it here. At least, this is my understanding of the rules - I may be incorrect.

Even if it use part of the oscommerce code/functions he can sell it, but it will then be under GNU License. Ie. The one who buys it from him can sell it again or give it away if they so please. They could even buy it and then upload it as a free add-on at this site.

@@toyicebear

You should check on that. Intellectual Property Laws in some countries prevent the distribution and / or re-sale of intellectual property even if it is has an additional GNU license.

Chris

@@toyicebear

You should check on that. Intellectual Property Laws in some countries prevent the distribution and / or re-sale of intellectual property even if it is has an additional GNU license.

Chris

Yes, some restrictions might apply for instance graphics and/or design parts.

But for most "add-ons" those are not an issue, while for a template then yes that does apply.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, and i don't know every countries laws. So if anyone are thinking of doing something related to this subject then i would highly recommend you contact a lawyer in your country/regions jurisdiction.

This is a descriptive excerpt from the GNU terms and conditions:

The terms and conditions of the GPL must be made available to anybody receiving a copy of the work that has a GPL applied to it ("the licensee"). Any licensee who adheres to the terms and conditions is given permission to modify the work, as well as to copy and redistribute the work or any derivative version. The licensee is allowed to charge a fee for this service, or do this free of charge. This latter point distinguishes the GPL from software licenses that prohibit commercial redistribution. The FSF argues that free software should not place restrictions on commercial use,and the GPL explicitly states that GPL works may be sold at any price.

The GPL additionally states that a distributor may not impose "further restrictions on the rights granted by the GPL". This forbids activities such as distributing of the software under a non-disclosure agreement or contract. Distributors under the GPL also grant a license for any of their patents practiced by the software, to practice those patents in GPL software.

Hi Pals,

I used DB functions of OSC in my add-on. I didn't use any other things from oscommerce. I'm going to remove those functions . So It's using only some table structures of OSC. It can be easily customized to work in any e-commerce website (i.e changing the table fields name). Now, is there any problem in selling my add-on?

Thanks

Just go ahead and sell it. Remember that if you license it GPL or BSD, then the buyer has the right to sell it on or give it away, or print it off and make a bonfire.

I could download osCommerce right now, and with no changes sell it for a million dollars if I could find someone rich enough and dumb enough. That is the freedom that the license gives.

Freedom in the sense of Open Source has nothing to do with Money. So charge what you want, but if it's GPL don't try to stop anyone else who gets their hands on it from doing what they want with it.

Archived