• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Checkout without having to login

atomicmoon

Hi, I know it has been awhile since I last posted. I am running v2.3.2. I was wondering what plugin you would recommend for allowing users to skip creating an account and just checkout. Currently, I have to create a new customer or login to my existing account. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

@@atomicmoon

You can have the customers skip the create account process on your website if you use PayPal express but they will have to enter all of their information and create an account on the PayPal website anyway. So, in my opinion, better they create an account on your website.

Chris

Thanks for the reply DubWeb. I actually use the UPS module on my website and what I would like to do is just skip all of the account create process and go straight to checkout with the shipping information and then the final page. I was looking at the "Consolidated login with guest checkout" as a possible way to handle this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@@atomicmoon

You can do that with PayPal express, except your customers will still have to create an account in order to checkout. Credit card processors REQUIRE full information about the customer in order to process the payment. It helps prevent fraud.

You can consolidate your checkout page(s), making it 2 instead of 4 but your customers will still have to enter all of their information in at some point.

Chris

DunWeb, I understand about credit card processors. I am trying to have the website so when you land on the shopping cart page, it does not say Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account? I want to skip all of that and have customers just be able to checkout... and eventually they would have to provide the information in order to process their credit card. I hope that makes a little more sense.

you can for instance do this...

In the file checkout_shipping.php change this:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

to this:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

There are a lot of broken and outdated addons available. My advice is to not use them, they are ALL flawed in one way or another.

You can slim down the checkout substantially by following advice in the forum, some of the advice is more than a decade old, but still useable. I posted up a thread about slimming down the checkout, years ago.

You can checkout (no pun intended) osCommerce Partner Toste/Jensen whose flagship product is "better checkout", which is in use on a number of stores. The code behind this new style checkout is solid and it is well supported.

You can checkout (no pun intended) osCommerce Partner Toste/Jensen whose flagship product is "better checkout", which is in use on a number of stores. The code behind this new style checkout is solid and it is well supported.

I use this and the support is indeed outstanding.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Archived