• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there a reason for IE users not to upgrade to IE10 if they can

bruyndoncx

I'm playing around with CSS3 animations which is supported in IE10 but not IE9 and below.

About 35% of site visitors use IE, about 40% of them on IE9, and 25% on IE10 and 30% on IE8 and 5% on IE6.

Is there a good reason for IE users not to upgrade to IE10 if/as soon as they can ?

I'm assuming IE10 will become available on Vista and possibly XP SP2 too, though I'm not sure about it. I haven't investigated that much.

Anyone knows more about this ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

They'll upgrade in their own sweet time. Some visitors will be at IE6 until the Cubs win the World Series (i.e., the End of Time). About the best you can do is make sure your site doesn't break badly on old browsers. Never force visitors to go to a specific version, or worse, a specific brand of browser to see your site. Remember all those sites with "Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 6 to view this site"?

I think sometimes you have to make a choice whether you want to support certain browser types/versions. Your analytics for your site can be a life saver when trying to figure out who you need to cater too.

I kind of don't think IE10 will be made available for older OS's just like IE9 was never made available for windows xp.

I figure for me personally IE8 and up is what I want to support. IE7 will still work on the site but it probably won't be as pretty. IE6 is a joke...

Matt

Archived