osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Redirecting old site links to OSC?

hornetnz

Write up a bunch of htaccess redirects

or

Make a script redirect

or

Make your new oscommerce have the same style links as your old site.

That could be complicated, unless you're set up with exactly the same categories and products as before, and only the domain name (and maybe path to store) has changed. Worst case then is to redirect visitors to the old site to the main page of your new site (none of the old product bookmarks, etc. would be usable on the new site). So what kind of redirection(s) do you want to do? I can only help if the old site is on an Apache server (not IIS), that recognizes .htaccess files. And of course, the old site still exists and you can edit it.

I think would be very nice a redirection addon... If I were four hand and two head I would do it. :D

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

What's the best way to handle redirecting links from our previous site to the new OSC site?

Are your product and category ID's the same? IE- you imported your existing database.

What was your old url to the osC install?

What is your new url to the osC install?

What type of server are you now on?

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

So you just want to send all visitors to the old site over to the entry (main) page of your new osC store?

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule . http://www.newsite.com/catalog/ [R=301]

is the simplest approach -- all visitors get sent over to the store on the new site. This would be in the old site's /.htaccess file. If you only want to send some visitors over (from specific director(ies) on the old site), that could be done, too, but you'll have to specify exactly what you want.

The old site is no longer online. The issue is the web crawlers and several forum threads still have some of the old links. So I need to do...

domain.com/pageA.htm => domain.com/newpage.htm

Same domain, just new site.

The problem is in relating the old pages to the new ones. If you have a handful of pages you want to redirect, then you can just type in a redirect for each one. But if you have hundreds of pages, that's not practical. If there is some common part of the two url's, code could be added to build the correct url's automatically but may not be worth the effort, depending upon the number of old pages and their ranking.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Same domain, just new site.

In that case, you could redirect anything that is not your osC store to the store. Say you're installed in /catalog, you could in /.htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  !^/catalog  [NC]
RewriteRule  .  /catalog/index.php [L]

You could exclude other directories and such with additional RewriteCond lines. Note that I did not make this a permanent redirect (R=301). I'm not sure you'd want all your existing bookmarks and (more importantly) search engine indexes all being changed to /catalog/index.php. If that's what you do want, you could change the last line there to

RewriteRule  .  http://www.domain.com/catalog/index.php [R=301,L]

Redirect 301 /old-page-name http://www.your-domain.com/new-page-name

Archived