• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Allow user to amend an order

kenkja

I am using v2.3.3 with no add ons to the order processing.

I have noticed a number of times that a customer may place an order and then another a few minutes later, clearly he/she forgot an item, then went back in but instead of amending the original order, created another.

I am using a shipping calc based on table rate value of order, so its fairly obvious that the customer does not really want to be creating 2 orders, as he/she will end up effectively being overcharged for shipping.

The payment gateway is the osc paypal website payments standard module and is set to process rather than authorisation.

So, should that allow a customer to go back to his order and amend it, and if so, is not really obvious to them how to do this becuase I am sure that if I used my site in these circumstances I would simply want to add to the order and not incur more shipping unless the addition takes the order value over one the steps in the table rate calc.

any comments folks

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Hi Ken

There's nothing in the code to allow a customer to edit an order (although there is an admin add-on to allow you to do it) - and if you were to allow the actual editing by the customer I think it could be a can of worms (e.g. if they delete something you'd have to accomodate a PP refund).

I think the way to go would be to either allow them to 'add' to an order or create a second order and link it to the first - the latter would be easier to shoehorn in - you could add something to either checkout_success or the order email telling them that if they want to add something they can so so within XX hours or before the original order ships.

Then code up a new shipping module (free shipping would be a good place to start) that kicks in when (for example):

customer has a previous order with status = pending or

customer has a previous order within XX hours

Use that to add something into the order->comments to note the link to the previous order and then they can checkout.

Allowing them a 'write only no delete' access to an existing order would be trickier in that you'd have to code the lot in from scratch including some way of passing them to paypal without using checkout_process so that a second order does not get generated

@@Bob Terveuren

Thanks bob, point taken, good idea about the free shipping within XX hours, will work on it

regards

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product