• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Linking Databases Together

JustinS

Someone I know but no longer speak to (so I can't ask them) has several websites launched that are pretty much the same aside from the title and a few design features. He sells the same products on all of the sites but he has them linked to one single or "master" database. Doing this he only has to check one website for all of his sites, because all of the orders show up on the master back office (administration side of the site, all customer orders can be seen from multiple sites by only looking at the one "master").

I was wondering if someone could help me by explaining how to do this? It would be great for what I will soon be trying to accomplish.

Thank you very much for your time, I always appreciate the help.

Justin.

If you don't need any of the admin details to be different, like store name and store email address, then you can just set the configure files in each shop to load the one database. Otherwise, there is the multi-store addon that is meant for this purpose. While it works, it is a major change and will cause you grief with getting addons installed and in maintaining the code so I wouldn't recommend it unless it will save you a remendous amount of work. And maybe not even then.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

So the first thing you mentioned, is it a good option that wouldn't hurt in the long run with addons? Whatever is listed in the administration side of the store that customers cannot see doesn't really matter to me, as long as the home page etc. is normal. As far as the email goes, I can just use a separate email and have it set on the sites to send an email to it when they use the contact us form... The site I have currently is like this, I actually have the form sending to an example@@live.com email so no problems there. Is that the only downside? The store name on the administration side and emails having to be set to just one for all sites sharing the database? If so that would be perfect and I would greatly appreciate it if you explained how to change the configure file like you said.

Is it just an option in the configure.php file?

Thanks again,

Justin

@@Jack_mcs

(& everyone else who knows of course)

My point with the first option was that anything controlled by the admin has to be the same for all shops. That means that all of the shops would have the same products, for example. Also, there would only be one orders section in admin so order 1 may be from store 2 and order 2 from store 3. And if a customer created an account on store 1 and then found store 2 and wanted to create an account there, he would find he already has one. Other than all of that cross-over, there's no problem with doing it. I have a client that uses one database for four shops and it doesn't cause any problems. If you do it this way, you only need to use one set of files for admin since the others would be redundant.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Well thinking about it now, it wouldn't work if everything had to be the same because of how I use the store logo and other things. I wish there was a simple solution to import orders from all of your websites to show on one main website. There has to be some way

Okay great thank you. Is this for sure what I'm looking for? The most important thing to me is to have all of my websites orders show up on one main website. If that is accomplished with this addon I am ready to get some stuff done when I get back to my computer!

Thanks so much for helping out

@@Dan Cole

@@Jack_mcs

Archived