• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

3 versions behind.... do I need to be or hire a guru to upgrade?

TLZ

Hey Folks,

I had someone build my website for me with OsCommerce several years ago, and I've been using it ever since.

A year or so my osCommerce guru decided he no longer wanted to help me with the site so it's been running on auto-pilot.

I am not very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff.

Tonight after a bit of poking around my admin panel I noticed that I am running version 2.3 and I am about 3 versions behind.

Can or should I attempt to do the upgrade myself?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

@@TLZ

2.30 can easily be updated to v2.3.3 in just a few hours for a novice. Do a back up and then attempt it, if your attempt fails, restore your backup. If it's successful, then you're all set.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Will everything be the same after the upgrade as far as how my site is set up?

I'm not going to lie...I'm a chicken$hit when it comes to this stuff...not even sure if I know how to back it up !?!?

@@TLZ

The updates in 2.3.1, 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 mostly deal with security and some additional functions. The trickiest part would be the password file changes as they sometimes render your customers passwords useless and they would have to create new accounts. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward

To back up, use your cpanel file manager or your favorite FTP client to copy all of the files to your local machine. The use PHPMYADMIN, found in your cpanel to export the database to your local machine.

Once that is done, you can begin the updates

Chris

@@DunWeb

Thanks, I will have to ponder this....

Earlier this evening I decided to send out my first newsletter to let folks know I finally decided to create a facebook page for my site...

I have no idea if the newsletters actually went out, as I (as a registered customer) never received it...this is why I started poking around the osCommerce admin panel.

I'm not sure I like the thought of forcing my customers (1800+ registered) to create new accounts....

The hashing algorithm is automatically detected so old passwords are updated to the new v2.3.0 hashing algorithm (PhPass) when the customer logs in. This is performed silently in the background and the customer does not have to do anything extra.

:heart:, osCommerce

Archived