• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sandbox

Hi!

Can anyone remind me what files I need to modify to make a sandbox version of my site?

I had one and accidentally overwrote it.

THANKS!

Are you asking what I mean? Praful, I am talking about creating a parallel site so I can try add-ons, etc, somewhere other than my live site. Thanks!

Or you can copy all the site files to a subfolder in your hosting account and alter both cofigure files to match the new location. Then password protect the new subfolder so only you have access.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

When using XAMPP install under /HTDOCS and make sure to reconfigure the configure.php files under /includes in both main and admin dirs.

Also you may need to ditch or chage your web hosts .htaccess files if copying the entire website over.

import and export of the SQL database (in phpMyadmin normally) is also needed for a fully local version of the remote web site.

Thanks everyone for your input!

My intent is to create it on my server as MVS Expert describes. I used to have it, and I know I made changes to some files. I thought it was more than just the configure files, because when I had tried to re-create it, that didn't work. For some reason, I thought it had taken a few other changes. I did create a sandbox db so I wouldn't affect the live site at all, so that's another change I need to make to the config files.

Any other thoughts?

THANKS again! :-)

Hi

MVS has it right - you copy everything to a new folder, edit the config files (including the new database details) and it should just 'work'.

Pay attention to the root .htaccess files if you have an SEO rewrite module installed to make sure you've changed the rewrite path.

You could also add a couple of lines at the foot of includes/application_top.php to display all errors.

Archived