• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Annoying Problem I would like to Solve

Mort-lemur

Hi,

I have a small but annoying problem that I need to solve....

I take quite a few orders over the phone and transfer them to OSC using manual order maker which works great.

Some of my customers do not have an email address.

The problem I have is the default OSC behaviour of preventing Duplicate email addresses being entered during customer creation.

This is great for normal day to day customer registrations, however, when Im adding a new customer who does not have an email address I would like to use a default email address such as "noemail@@MySitesOnline.co.uk without it throwing up duplicate errors each time I use it.

How would I go about this?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I don't think you can do that. It would require an unknown number of available email addresses since they have to be unique. If no one else has a better solution, I suggest creating one email address for this purpose and then changing the login code so that if that email address is seen, checking it is skipped. If you also install the master password addon, you wouldn't have to worry about remembering passwords either. I haven't tried this but I think it would work.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Mort-lemur

If you are using the script I am thinking of, find this in admin/create_account_process.php:

$check_email = tep_db_query("select customers_email_address from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_email_address = '" . tep_db_input($email_address) . "' and customers_id <> '" . tep_db_input($customer_id) . "'");
if (tep_db_num_rows($check_email)) {
$error = true;
$entry_email_address_exists = true;
} else {
$entry_email_address_exists = false;
}

Change it to this:

if ( $email_address == 'noemail_AT_MySitesOnline.co.uk' ) {
}else{
$check_email = tep_db_query("select customers_email_address from " . TABLE_CUSTOMERS . " where customers_email_address = '" . tep_db_input($email_address) . "' and customers_id <> '" . tep_db_input($customer_id) . "'");
if (tep_db_num_rows($check_email)) {
$error = true;
$entry_email_address_exists = true;
} else {
}
}

It should work (I haven't tested it). Try it out and let us know.

Matt

@@mattjt83

Thank You so much - that works like a dream, It will save me having to think of a bogus email address for each customer who orders on the phone who does not have their own email.

Thanks again Matt :)

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Another option could be that you set up an e-mailaccount with a catch-all mailbox. This way you could randomly use addresses like [email protected] and all mails will be delivered in the catch-all box (like [email protected]).

But there's one setback: spammers sometimes randomly target e-mailaddresses at a domain and those mails too will end up in the catch-all, where otherwise they would bounce...

Archived