• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modules won't install

jcflashg

A friend of mine has a webshop that became defective. His webmaster was ill-mannered and slow.

I was asked to take over. I have never worked in OSCommerce before. But through reading of the manual and in forums I have managed most problems, but has got one remaining.

The webshop is in OSCommerce 2.2. RC2

Hosted at surftown.dk

Some of the problems came from Surftown updating webhosting - so all files were set to 644 and directorys to 755 in permissions.

I have changed were nessesary according to documentation.

But I still cannot install modules.

First I tried shipping, since it didn't appear on the invoice. But pressing the install-button just results in the page refreshing - but no installation.

I tried installing other modules - but again, when I needed to press install nothing happens.

Please help - my Google search didnt help, and browsing this forum for days didn't bring me closer to at solution.

Kind regards

FlashG

@@jcflashg

If the hosting provider has updated to PHP 5.3.x and that is an RC2 site as you mentioned, then you will need to update the entire site to be PHP 5.3.x compatible. This may or may not be a part of the issue you are having, but it will cause the site to fail if not updated. Another cause of the issue you are having could be an incorrect path in the two configure.php files. I would also check those.

Chris

ps. I hope you have at least basic PHP skills, if not, I don't suggest you try to help your friend. Advise your friend to hire a professional osCommerce developer.

PHP is 5.2.17 but server is changed from Apache to LiteSpeed.

The two configure.php has been searched for incorrect path, hence other threads has pointed this out.

And thanks for the PS! I like my friend very much and wants to keep him - so I have pointed out that my PHP-skills are limited to the basics :-)

- but as for now money is an issue!

@@jcflashg

Sometimes the list of installed modules, held on a record in the cofiguration file in the database, is out of sync with the setting records, for the shipping modules, in the cofiguration file in the database.

You can go into the configuration table in the db using phpmyadmin and delete all the shipping records in the db and empty the field on the record that lists the installed modules.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

@@jcflashg

Sometimes the list of installed modules, held on a record in the cofiguration file in the database, is out of sync with the setting records, for the shipping modules, in the cofiguration file in the database.

You can go into the configuration table in the db using phpmyadmin and delete all the shipping records in the db and empty the field on the record that lists the installed modules.

HTH

G

Thanks for the clue Geoffrey!

That did the trick!

Not only did the shipping module appear as installed -but it had the same post a hundred times (my tries to install it). Also a lot of posts remained from other modules, which I haven't tried to installed and they weren't part of the shop as I took over. So in deleting those I went from 25 pages of posts in configuration in phpmyadmin to only 6 pages. And the webshop suddenly works perfectly.

For future users of this answer I used a lot of time comparing to a trial installation elsewere to make shure I didn't delete to much.

Thanks again!

I think you need to find every record in configuration table where the key starts MODULES_SHIPPING and delete them all except the one that lists the installed modules.

Then edit that record and remove the names of all the modules that are listed.

Alternatively you can try to remove all the modules through the shop admin screen and then perform the steps above.

Rememer you can backup the database using the shop admin >> Tools >> Backup

Edit the db, using phpmyadmin, to your hearts content and if you mess it up restore from the backup file.

This method can also be used for payment modules using MODULES_PAYMENT.

Ad you delete the configuration records you will see pricing bands of payment account details that will need to be used when you set up the modules again so note them down if you dont have them anywhere else as you will need the info when you "reinstall" the modules.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Archived