• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Bad Addons

I really wish there were some way to moderate the addon section to remove the ones that don't work or are generally broken without support.

It seems when I search and find a addon that will solve my dilemma and I work hours to install it, it turns out to either be coded wrong or has no support from the original creator. Not to mention the mods added by people trying to fleece the unsuspecting newbie by forcing them to buy support or open an account with their service to get it to work.

I have been using OSc since 2004, and I love it, but I must have tried over 200 different addons in that time. Many were dead ends or partial solutions with no final closing.

Just ranting.

@@lyonsperf

Add Ons were originally called contributions which were either complete modifications to create or alter a functionality in osCommerce or just helpful snippets of code that the original contributor offered to others. Just because a contribution doesn't suit your needs, doesn't mean it didn't work for the contributor. Having said that, osCommerce REQUIRES PHP skills, if you don't have any then you should hire someone to make the changes for you. Nothing is 100%, especially when you add multiple contributions.

Chris

Hi Matt,

Better to check the support forum first before installing a well supported add on will have various fixes due to updates / bug reports etc.. I personally reckon with a 95% success rate with addons think the only failures in the past were mainly security issues which I must say can be a problem but where is the answer osc being open source??

I could imagine a star rating system would be good as orientation help before installing where members would be allowed to comment / review

an add on after the install.

Something to think about I guess !!

With so many changes happening on the platform and I believe also a commercial addon section being implemented in the short future

nobody wants to buy / install a pig in a poke ( Katze im Sack)

so I find an interesting post.

Regards

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

First off, Mr Dunn, there is no need to talk down to me as if you are better than me because you know php code. I am self taught on this code after spending many a night working with it learning what can be done and what can't. That being said my initial post was more to ask for a way to report old, dead or non functioning addons so that other users didn't have to find out the way I have. There are several mods in the addon section that simply do not work or are incomplete. An idea was started but was not followed through to prove out it worked. Also, for a new user, having to scroll through several variations of a mod due to updates is rather challenging. I think a set of rules that say if you are adding a change or update to an existing mod please add it as a full package. Not just the snippet of code. That way the user has all the files to make the mod and doesn't have to use google to figure out where he/she needs to go when it doesn't work.

There should also be a moderator that can monitor and remove mods that are broken or no longer useful to the code at large.

I do not think that old mods should be removed, but there should definitely be a rating/comments section so that feedback on the different add-ons can be viewed before deciding to use a mod.

Those who actually make addons have the right to disallow anyone else from uploading. Fact.

Those who moan about addons are usually those how have no clue how to make them. Perhaps they would do well to realise that they get precisely what they pay for. Nothing.

Having said that, the present addons area does suck. 90% of the addons are outdated or broken, or not addons at all. This is why the new "app store" for free and commercial addons will be welcomed.

@@lyonsperf

First off, Mr Dunn, there is no need to talk down to me as if you are better than me because you know php code

My apologies if I offended you. I was simply stating that some users think osCommerce is like Wordpress where you just select and click go. Quickly new users realize that they WILL need to know PHP to accomplish most modifications in osCommerce.

Again, I apologize if my reply seemed like I was talking down to you.

Chris

osCommerce is about money we take money from the customer so I do not think it should be plug and play / pay -a - bill etc...

A certain amount of responsibility should be there it is not a blog like wordpress it is a shopping cart.

so good that it takes a bit of study

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

The addons area is a bit of a mess, but if you narrow the search to your version, you eleiminate most of the trash. The addons that dont work have not been updated for the latest version. Saying that there are some good addons for 2,2 that work perfectly fine for 2.3 with no modifications.

If you are in any doubt as to the worthiness of a particular mod, ask in the forums and see if anyone else has had trouble with it, before spending time installing it. It really is that simple.

Just because an addon does not work in your store does not make it rubbish. It may be your error, or it may be clashing with code previously added. It can even be a simple case of the mod over writting code that has already been altered and cut and paste just does not work.

I am sure that Harald would appreciate your time in effort in moderating the addons area, so volunteer away, or is it a case of someone else can do it.

The only thing i can see wrong with the new app store is that there will be less and less free addons as people would want payment for their mod, whether good or bad, but that is the way of the world today.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived