• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need directions on changing admin password

suscrofa

Hi!

I know this has been discussed several times before, but I am unable to find the administrator's tables in MySQL. One of our stores has been repeatedly hacked this year, and a second is currently under attack. I really really need to change the passwords. I plan to change all three stores to newer versions of OSC, and am working on the first right now. I have searched the forums and read related messages. However, I can't match their instructions to what I see in PHPMYadmin.

The OSC versions in our stores date from about 2003.

Will someone explain it to me in plain English? Thank you.

Lark

@@suscrofa

In versions above RC1, you change the admin password from the admin area under administration. In versions prior to RC1, there was NO admin password. Passwords where set in your hosting account file manager or in an .htaccess file in the /admin directory.

Chris

@@suscrofa

Your password is NOT stored in any files in version above RC1, they are stored in the database and are encrypted so you can't actually see them.

Watch the video Burt posted, it may help. Knowing which version you are using would help with other replies.

Chris

If your stores date back to "about 2003", then they're no later than 2.2 MS2, and possibly earlier. The best you'll be able to do is change the admin directory name to something else (if your version lists the directory name in the configure.php file for admin side, and it's not hard coded throughout the code), and password protect it using your hosting control panel.

Archived