• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No images or CSS is showing after installation

MSkovmose

Greetings,

I'm new to oscommerce and just installed 2.3.3 - or tried to at least.

The problem is that my website looks like this, when running it the first time:

http://www.skovmose.net/temp/webshop.jpg

I can see all the image files on the server. I have tried giving them both 644, 755 and 777 permissions. That didnt change anything.

My webhoster is one.com if that makes any difference.

I hope someone is able to come up with an idea as to what the problem and solution is. :)

Best regards,

Martin

@@MSkovmose

Could you give a link to your site? I wonder some links. I think your config parameters may be bad. The links can be controlled in firebug.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@MSkovmose

You have "NetworkError: 500 Internal Server Error - http://www.skovmose.net/shop/images/matrox/mg200mms.gif" and so on.

Look after your .htaccess file in images directory and probably css and images are prohibited in your server.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Strange. I have not touched any of those files. Just unpacked the ZIP, uploaded the files and installed.

.htaccess in the Images folder says:

<FilesMatch "\.(php([0-9]|s)?|s?p?html|cgi|pl|exe)$">
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
Options -Indexes

Not that it says anything to me. Never messed around with that before. :)

Check if you have "hotlink protection" enabled for images and possibly CSS. You would need to make sure your own site is "whitelisted". I have no idea why the 500 error just for images and CSS files, unless there's a typo in the .htaccess and only in a section pertaining to images or CSS files. Do you have /.htaccess or /shop/.htaccess files? What's in them? Any evidence that other applications have problems running on this server (that it's misconfigured)?

Strange. I have not touched any of those files. Just unpacked the ZIP, uploaded the files and installed.

.htaccess in the Images folder says:

<FilesMatch "\.(php([0-9]|s)?|s?p?html|cgi|pl|exe)$">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
Options -Indexes

Not that it says anything to me. Never messed around with that before. :)

When I looked after your host documentations I saw that your host offer self configured stylsheet and picture managment. I think somewhere you can config these functions.

Check if you have "hotlink protection" enabled for images and possibly CSS.

Where would I be looking for that? Is that something in oscommerce eller something in the setup of my host?

Do you have /.htaccess or /shop/.htaccess files? What's in them? Any evidence that other applications have problems running on this server (that it's misconfigured)?

I have never made or edited any of the .htaccess files.

Root file:

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*
<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

Everything in the /SHOP file is 'hashed' out (#), so that shouldnt be doing anything, I guess.

Only thing I've installed on this server in the past is a phpBB and a Coppermine gallery. I dont use any of them anymore.

There is no CSS files in the server root directory. Only in /SHOP.

Hotlink protection is a section of entries in an .htaccess file. There's a bunch of RewriteCond's to whitelist your site and anyone else you want to share certain filetypes with, and then a RewriteRule listing various filetypes (usually images) to protect and some sort of failure to cause upon match. Some hosts (or other applications you're running) may automatically add hotlink protection to your .htaccess. Some host control panels can insert it for you.

I don't see anything in the .htaccess you listed that should cause problems. If that's the entire file, it does not have hotlink protection.

By the way, never set directories or files to 777 (or 666 for files) unless your application is complaining that it can't write to it with 755 or 644 permissions. Then try 775 or 664. Only if that fails use 777 or 666. The reason is that 777 and 666 are "world writable", and someone else sharing your machine (and, if your host security is poorly set up, someone coming in via the browser) can write to those directories or files. You'll find plenty of old instructions and self-proclaimed experts telling you right off the bat to set your directory permissions to 777, but they're wrong. Many hosts have security software to deny access to world writable directories or files, usually triggering a 500/Internal Server error.

Archived