• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Complete overhaul of oscommerce.....

rudolfl

Hi, all,

This is more of thinking aloud than real question and topic for discussion.

I am running two shops for some years. One is oscommerce-based, second one is CreLoaded, which is oscommerce clone.

Both shops are heavily modified by me and it is time I re-look at what I've done and, perhaps, start from basic installation and cleanly apply third-party add-ons and my own changes.

What I would love to do is to replace aged design that uses tables and move to HTML5 using divs. This will give me much better flexibility in terms of visual design and adapting to portable devices.

It would also make cleaner separation of code for presentation, user-end behaviour and server-end processing.

As far as I understand, such a move was not undertaken yet (please correct me if I am wrong).

Traffic from mobile devices has increased in recent times, so adaptive layout is the way to go (in my opinion).

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Rudolf

P.S. I am happy to contribute what I can.

Have you looked at osC 2.3? It has replaced table-driven layout with CSS-styled divs. Much of the insides, though, are little changed from 2.2, so non-presentation code should be reasonably portable. It's not HTML 5, though.

2.3.3 is the current stable production version. Don't bother with 3.0.x unless you are an experienced developer -- it is not for use with a production store. No harm in your looking at it to see what's going on, but expect to have your head handed to you if you use it for a real store.

Thanks -- looks like a good start for what I am after.

I am still on OSC 2.2, so looks like I have to upgrade to 2.3 first before I can do anything useful.

Rudolf

Wait for 2.4 which will be responsive out of the box.

When is the planned release date and how difficult will it be to upgrade from 2.3?

Thanks,

Rudolf

Wait for 2.4 which will be responsive out of the box.

Ahaa, and who is working on this ?

responsive images too ? I got an ai-cache going

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I'm also working on this. In doing so, ideas popup, which I just have to test... so it takes a lot of time. But, so far so good.

Presently I'm tweaking and extending product_info, thinking about mail/page reload issues.

For the future I would love to see full support of ARIA including responsive design, maby it's coming?

As for html5, there's more to it than just the html/css, it's the whole question of browser support. Although ie10 is out, most users are on legacy versions and will not upgrade, since costs are involved and a new version of windows. I don't expect regular users will fancy the learning curve either. According to investigations in Sweden, consumers (online shoppers) prefer the pc before mobile devices. Because of screen size.

All in all, there's seems to be plenty of time for developers to create an ultimate version... 2.4 or 3.something.

By the way, my heart has been with the US since Sandy struck. It's awful!

Phil, I hope Sandy was'nt too hard on you and your family.

Sara

By the way, my heart has been with the US since Sandy struck. It's awful!

Phil, I hope Sandy was'nt too hard on you and your family.

@@Juto, thanks for the kind thoughts. I got off pretty lightly (branches down, power out for 4 days), but some of my neighbors had damage. It's not far from here to New York City and New Jersey, which really got clobbered. Now it's snowing hard.

Archived