• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links no longer work on my website shop page + Admin page

Code_NKK

Hi there,

New to the support forum here.

I'm relatively inexperienced in using osCommerce so bear with me and hopefully I can explain the problems affecting my osCommerce web shop at the moment well enough so that someone might be able to work out what's going on. Would much appreciate any help anyone can provide.

The problem manifests in two ways.

1) On the website shop itself - http://www.subtleaudiorecordings.com/shop/

... from the customers point of view, none of the "Category" links on the left hand side of the page seem to work anymore.

Other links such as "Cart Contents" etc still seem to be working okay.

2) On my shop Admin page I can no longer access the same categories (Vinyl, CD, MP3 etc) from the Admin side. This means I can no longer add a new product or to change the price of a product etc

Also, you can see that there are all kinds of code-like titles appearing that did not before - such as "HEADING_TITLE" in the attached image file.

admincategories.png

Another thing, if I try to access other links within my Admin account - eg "Reports" I'm getting this error message on the bottom of the page :

Error!

Unable to determine the page link!

Function used:

tep_href_link(",",'NONSSL')

I already approached my hosting company with screenshots of the issues mentioned above...

I got this back from them yesterday :

We have checked and found that this is the problem related to your Language Template mapping , which is the part of the configuration of your OSCommerce , we suggest you to check it at your level or contact to the Application provider for this as we do not support the application or coding level issues.

I'm not really sure how to go about fixing a potential problem in this area ... like where to find the relevant .php file (if that's what I need to find in the first place) or what changes to make to it.

Anyone ever seen this issue before ?

What did you do to resolve it ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this (if you did :thumbsup: )

post-316706-0-03135600-1349462038_thumb.png

Have you made any modifications to your store, or is this a clean installation that never worked correctly ?

In the latter, I think you didn't configure the paths and addresses correctly in /catalog/includes/configure.php and /admin/catalog/includes/configure.php

I also think the GET-parameters aren't read well by PHP.

What PHP version are you working on, and what osCommerce version do you have ?

Can you edit /catalog/includes/application_top.php and at the end of the file, just before ?>, can you write this:

echo '<br>$_GET:<br>';
echo '<pre>';
var_dump($_GET);
echo '</pre>';

echo '<br>$HTTP_GET_VARS:<br>';
echo '<pre>';
var_dump($HTTP_GET_VARS);
echo '</pre>';

Then save the file and click to some random categories and products in your shop, and lets see if the shop can read the url parameters correctly.

Thanks for your reply Piemol.

This installation was originally done around 2005 or 2006 actually.

I didn't do the install but, obviously it's quite an old version of osCommerce, how would I find out for sure?

Also how would I know what PHP version was used?

The shop has always worked up till now (one or two minor things, but nothing like what happening right now).

I didn't make any modifications recently.

I could try edit the file, but does the fact that the shop worked okay till now change your mind on that suggestion ?

An osCommerce install that old is probably version 2.2MS2. If you can get into the store Admin, click on Tools, then Server Info. That page will tell you the osCommerce version as well as the PHP and MySQL versions.

It's likely that your host has updated the PHP version, and probably MySQL as well. Chris is right -- your code is hopelessly outdated. Install 2.3.3 and import your customer and product database tables.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I could try edit the file, but does the fact that the shop worked okay till now change your mind on that suggestion ?

Well if the host upgraded php & mysql, and you did nothing, the shop can stop working :)

Just tried that coding fix you suggested Piemol but no luck. Still the same issue.

I guess I could get in touch with the hosting company to ask if they carried out any server upgrades recently.

Thanks for the replies Chris & Jim.

It seems I might need to take your advice.

I did try to use the Admin Tools to get the server info (to find out what versions of osCommerce & PHP are running), but I'm getting a '404 - page not found' message once I click on Tools.

Okay, so by the looks of it, I will need to back up my osCommerce data + shop files and try to do a fresh install ?

Or because it's would be a new version of osCommerce that I'm installing, does that mean I will have to start the shop from scratch ?

Would it be possible to re-use old pages / files etc that were used in the old osCommerce shop I had running ?

You can't reuse any of the files. Everything has changed so much that it would be a tremendous amount of work to update your old files. It's not worth the effort.

You can read this to find your osCommerce version. For the PHP version, ask your host, or put this code in a file:

<?php php_info(); ?>

Then upload that file to your server and view it in your browser.

Regards

Jim

Okay, just heard back from the hosting company after asking them if the php settings were changed recently :

Yes, the php version has been upgraded during 'Emergency Apache/PHP security tweak ' which is performed on 25th Sep from 5.2.9 to 5.2.17 as 5.2.9 is vulnerable PHP version, but I don't think it will cause any problem to your site as there is no so much difference in these both PHP versions except vulnerability.

Current php version : 5.2.17

Current mysql version : 5.0

Also, I can confirm that the version of osCommerce on my site is : osCommerce 2.2-MS2

Thought I'd post this info in case it made a fix more likely - even as a temporary solution for the next week or two while I work on a replacement.

Or am I still resigned to having to install a newer version of osCommerce ?

@@Code_NKK

Ok, you have a patched version of MS2 which allowed it to run on your server using PHP 5.2.9. However, it obviously does not work on the newer version they installed. So, it's time to delete the old site and create a new site using v2.3.3. You can integrate parts of your database so be sure to back it up.

Chris

The problem might be a change in the PHP settings. Try adding this to your root .htaccess:

php_value register_long_arrays On

If that doesn't work, tell your host to turn on Register Long Arrays. If it still doesn't work, there's some more subtle error and it's probably time to give up.

Regards

Jim

The problem might be a change in the PHP settings. Try adding this to your root .htaccess:

Hey Jim,

there is a .htaccess file (with nothing in it at the root level) - I re-saved this with the line of code you said to add and loaded it to the server but I got a 500 Internal Error message

Then I changed this file back to the original .htaccess

and afterwards went into the public_html folder and edited the .htaccess file at that level.

This .htaccess file was original set up like this :

<IfModule mod_security.c>

SecFilterEngine Off

SecFilterScanPOST Off

</IfModule>

I tried adding :

on the very first line (i.e. before "<IfModule mod_security.c>")

but again once I loaded the new version I got a 500 Internal Error.

Same when I re-saved with :

php_value register_long_arrays On at the end of the htaccess file.

Am I changing the wrong file, or am I adding the code in the wrong place ?

Your host may have blocked this command in .htaccess. Talk to them. Regards Jim

JIM !!

I owe you big time - seems like all the to-ing and fro-ing over the last few days has been worth it and my osCommerce shop is now working once more.

The hosting company notified me that they switched on Register Long Arrays and when I checked my website, it was up and running again !

I'm still going to redesign and re-implement the shop with a newer version of software as I still feel like I'm threading on eggshells seeing as the software is so old.

I presume this would be the recommended course of action ?

Either way, it's great that the shop is live while I take the time to ready a replacement.

Not sure what music you're into, but seeing as the shop is stacked with Drum & Bass / Jungle mp3's you'd be welcome to some on the house !

...though that might not necessarily be a present for alot of people (!)

Glad to hear that fixed the problem. I thought it would. There are not very many people on this forum that remember the old software and what it takes to make it run. I still have a few clients that are running stores that are nearly that old. I keep telling them that they're likely to stop working at any time.

Now that you have a chance, start working on a new store with the latest version. There are lots of improvements, and it's designed to run on current versions of PHP and MySQL. I would set up a test site (maybe in a subdomain) and start playing with it.

That's not exactly my style in music, but thanks a lot for the offer.

Regards

Jim

Archived