• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I found my design....but need some help getting there

cstovin

AH!! I finally found what I have been trying to do - make an oscommerce site for my "small" pottery shop that doesn't look like a large upscale wholesale electronics site, or "warehouse" site, or somethng of the like.

I have wanted to do something that looks small, homey, comforting....and I found an example of a design I LOVE that is very similair to what I have been envisioning....now the trick is....how do I do it?

I know that I can use the themeroller to create a theme for my tabs and buttons, background, etc. so while I don't know how to do all of that 100%, I can get started that direction.

What I don't know how to do is change the layout of my store so that it has a tab feature on the front page; the front page is more of just a "welcome, here is what we are and what we do", then on one of the other tabs, it takes you to the store.....it almost feels from a programming perspective as two different applications, although it isn't.....I have no idea how to do this.

The example I am looking at can be found at

shops.oscommerce.com/directory/gifts -> click on "Jenny Ragna"....

or see attached document.

I am not looking to duplicate this site 100% or copy this site, - but I wanted to do something similair to it, can someone help me get started in the right direction?

Charlene

I understand the theme part (kind of, still learning how to install, etc); but what I don't know how to do is make the FIRST page that you come to look so different than an osc store....then if you click on the tab structure, then you go to what looks like you would expect an osc store to look like...that is what I really like about it.....

So it is how to get the first page like that - then link to a totally different setup for the rest.....

Thanks George, and Nick I will go back and look at the basics; I did read it, but there must be something there yesterday that I am not thinking about now that I can't remember seeing; I just saw this setup this morning and thought "THAT'S IT!!".....

Thank you

Charlene

Now I see what you mean

The page in the root (www.domain.com) is not an osCommerce page

The one in folder /webshop/ (www.domain.com/webshop) is the osCommerce front page, and this is stock osCommerce

ah... I had wondered about that; when you click on her "gallery" page, it goes back to her home page layout but with images of different products, which I assume link to different categories (I didn't try it - just a guess)

thank you, that helps.....I had wondered about that....

Charlene

Archived