• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Want to upgrade from v2.2 RC2a to v2.3.3

evotech

To give you an idea of where i'm at, I am the 3rd person to be involved in maintaining this particular website that is running oscommerce. I have no previous experience with oscommerce but I have worked with several similar systems.

Basically I would like to know if this upgrade is possible, and get some steps to perform the upgrade if it can be done.

Thanks.

One more question, I just realized that oscommerce was installed to do the redirect from www.mysite.com to www.mysite.com/catalog I would like to remove this before, or after the upgrade. Is this possible?

Also I don't see downloads for these upgrades I need to perform, where might I find download links for all the upgrade files i need?

I apologize if this is not the correct section for this, but since I have this thread going already.

After looking over the site as it is now and the upgrade guides that you linked abvove, I have realized some issues with the way this site was originally setup and I am wondering if a fresh install of 2.3.3 might be the better solution.

I have 2 serious SEO issues.

First is the redirect from the main domain to the /catalog/ subdirectory, this needs to go away

Second is every single page on the site has this meta tag: "<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />"

From what I understand of the new install instructions both of these are set during the initial setup.

Which brings me to the actual question.

Is it possible to migrate my existing data to a new install? If so could you point me in the right direction. A guide, steps etc, any starting point would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote:

First is the redirect from the main domain to the /catalog/ subdirectory, this needs to go away

Please explain. It is best to install into /catalog, and redirect (URL rewrite) from the root to /catalog unless you have a root landing page with links to applications such as osC. This is because major subsystems (applications) should be in their own subdirectories so that they stay out of each other's hair and don't clutter up the root. You want to have application-specific .htaccess entries in their own .htaccess files, so that the root .htaccess doesn't make changes that a lower level .htaccess has to undo. Visitors to your domain root you want to be redirected to /catalog and osC (unless you have a landing page). Configure osC to /catalog so that search engine entries and customer bookmarks don't have to change if you add a landing page.

Quote:

Second is every single page on the site has this meta tag: "<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />"

Every page? That doesn't sound right. Try searching this forum for "noindex" and "nofollow" and see what discussion has occurred on this subject. I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Quote:

Is it possible to migrate my existing data to a new install? If so could you point me in the right direction. A guide, steps etc, any starting point would be appreciated.

Sure. It's been discussed many times before on this forum. You would make a fresh 2.3.3 install, edit the backup (.sql) from 2.2RC2a to conform with the structure of 2.3.3 (it's changed a little), restore the backup, and move your product images over. I would suggest installing into a new subdirectory (e.g., /store), getting it working, and then cutting over from /catalog to /store via .htaccess or a landing page link.

(Sorry about not using the quote tag, but the forum is broken and falsely claimed I didn't have matching opening and closing quote tags)

Thank you for the information, I will search for these items.

As far as the redirect goes it is setup as a 302 or temporary redirect, this is a bad thing when it comes to SEO.

The way this particular site is configured there will be no landing page or anything else installed on the root, just oscommerce.

edit: the other issue with the redirect is i cannot figure out how it is being performed.

I have checked all the .htaccess files in the root and anywhere else and i have check and index fils (html, php, htm etc)

I suppose it could be setup on the hosts site, but I assumed that would be in the .htaccess file. They are hosted on

Network Solutions, definitely not my favorite host.

If you (as you should) put the store in /catalog and rewrite the URL from the main domain /, it should be a 200 code, not 30x. That is, no code should be sent back to the browser or spider:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}   !^/catalog  [NC]
RewriteRule  ^(.*)$  /catalog/$1  [L]

Notice there is no http://domain.com in the rewrite rule, nor is there an R=xxx code. If you used http:, the defult code would be 302.

If it's not apparent in the /.htaccess file, your hosting control panel should show it somewhere (and allow you to change it). Usually, redirections done from a hosting control panel get put into the standard /.htaccess, but it's possible that your host has something hidden in their DNS support. Nevertheless, you should be able to change it.

Note that there are other ways to redirect/rewrite than using RewriteCond and RewriteRule. There are some "shortcuts" usable in .htaccess, that might involve "redirect" or "permanent" commands. I don't like using them, as they don't seem to give fine enough control for my tastes.

• 4 months later...

Trying to get to the upgrade process and the links above that were working last week, are not working this week, where did they move the original links to ?

I am trying to upgrade my database from v2.2 RC2a to 2.3.3.

any help would be appreciated !

thanks !

These are all links to install a new version, where would I find the links to do an upgrade? They don't seem to have that info when I go to these links.

Thanks!

@@kristapasnak

Each one of those downloads has a PDF in the extra's folder for upgrading. HOWEVER, if you upgrade that many times, you will end up with an unstable cart. That is too many jumps. For best results, I suggest creating a NEW cart using v2.3.3

Chris

For best results, I suggest creating a NEW cart using v2.3.3

I'm not finding many threads on pulling an existing v2.2 RC2a into a new v2.3.3 and don't believe I understand the process. I was just told my server will upgrade to PHP5.4 and just need the bare minimum to keep it working. I'd be comfortable upgrading in stages but jumping to a new install and importing has me baffled.

Of course there is. Unfortunately, there is no automated tool to do it, so you have to manually compare database schemas and modify the old site's backup .sql file (adding/changing fields, adding tables, etc., to match the schema and fixing the corresponding INSERT statements to match). Then you can simply replace the new installation's database with the restored old one. That's one way of doing it, anyway. You could also do it directly in phpMyAdmin, but I feel that's risky.

• 1 month later...

Either I'm a total dunce or the upgrade instruction from v2.2RC2a to v2.3.0 are not in the above link. I see no Extra's directory at all and can't seem to find any instruction on how to perform the upgrade. Is there another location for it?

--Steve

@appzattak

Those links don't work anymore.

Click >>here, click drop down arrow, and select the version you want to download.

Upgrade instructions inside.

Thank you much. So I have not done this before, so do I follow the instructions in the upgrade-22rc2a.html file? So it seems this is a manual proccess, I have to open each affected file and make the changes and save them to upgrade? Or do I copy over the files from the download??

--Steve

Also, I just read this; "The following changes should be performed in order to upgrade an existing osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 store to v2.2 RC2.". I already have v2.2 RC2 installed, so is the upgrade-22rc2a.html file the correct file to use as instructions? I downloaded the oscommerce-2.3 full

--Steve

2.2 RC2 and 2.2 RC2a are almost identical. IIRC, RC2 was written with some code expecting a PHP 5 function, so RC2a was issued to define the missing function if you were on PHP 4.

If you are on RC2 or RC2a already, this upgrade file is to convert from 2.2 RC2a to 2.3.0? If so, you should be good to go. If it's to migrate to 2.2RC2a, that would not do you any good.

Note that an upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 leaves you with something of a hybrid "frankenstore" that isn't fully equivalent to a fresh 2.3.x installation. I know the user interface is a bit different, but I don't know if the database gets upgraded to full 2.3. Unless your 2.2 store is so heavily modified that it would be a tremendous pain to customize 2.3.3 from scratch, the usual recommendation is to install 2.3.3 and migrate your database over. Then you will be able to migrate to 2.3.4 when it comes out, any 2.4, and eventually to 3.1 when it arrives.

Does anyone know if the 2.2-to-2.3 migration leaves you with a fully 2.3 database? If so, that could presumably be used as-is with the 2.3.3 code. If not, how much manual touch-up would still be needed?

Archived