• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help me improve my site!

palaceofpooch1

Hi guys,

Someone has built my site using oscommerce and now they have pretty much left it up to me to fiddle around with anything else. I have had a look around at what most sites should have if they are to be found through google etc. The most noticeable thing I have been told about are meta tags and descriptions. I don't actually know how to edit my site to add this in (I understand about them but when it comes to finding the right file to change it becomes quite scary!) I can't seem to find the main file that shows the <head> etc. to add it in?

I was also wondering if you had any hints or tips that you have found working for you? Or if you had any criticism or advise about our website? The site address is http://www.palaceofpooch.com - I am quite happy with the presentation of the site but I am sure there are some bugs behind the scenes that I need to sort out...

Any help would be much appreciated. I can also take any negatives about the site on the chin, as I know this will help me to improve it - so please go mad!

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Jamie

You need to use an Addon to provide the header tags. There are a couple of good ones, one of which is linked below.

It looks like you're running osCommerce 2.3.1. I suggest that you apply the updates to 2.3.2 and 2.3.3. Some of those are security fixes, so don't put this off.

Your logo is cute, but it's so tall that your header takes up a third of my screen height. As a result, there's a lot of wasted space in that header. I would make the logo more horizontal by moving the text part to the right.

Your category images are huge and are being resized in the browser. This is a waste of bandwidth and makes the pages load noticeably slow on my fast connection. Use images the correct size for your small images.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I keep on seeing the osCsid in the url, not good for google

where is the shipping rate info ? do you ship to europe ? (I like the fancy dog houses ...)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• 2 weeks later...

You need to use an Addon to provide the header tags. There are a couple of good ones, one of which is linked below.

It looks like you're running osCommerce 2.3.1. I suggest that you apply the updates to 2.3.2 and 2.3.3. Some of those are security fixes, so don't put this off.

Your logo is cute, but it's so tall that your header takes up a third of my screen height. As a result, there's a lot of wasted space in that header. I would make the logo more horizontal by moving the text part to the right.

Your category images are huge and are being resized in the browser. This is a waste of bandwidth and makes the pages load noticeably slow on my fast connection. Use images the correct size for your small images.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will certainly look at this add on. I would like to run the update, however my webdesigner has said that he is worried that it might muck up some bits of the site as he has heavily modified it. I certainly wouldn't know how to correct it myself and I don't know that I would want to risk losing a functioning site at the moment?

I hear what you are saying about the logo, it was designed for us by Gemma Correll (an up and coming illustrator in the UK) and we don't really want to alter it or move it, but I think we could somehow make use of the white space. I will have a think!

Thank you for the suggestion about the images. Stupidly I hadn't thought about that, so I am glad you have pointed it out.

Cheers for the help Jim!

Jamie

I keep on seeing the osCsid in the url, not good for google

where is the shipping rate info ? do you ship to europe ? (I like the fancy dog houses ...)

Hi Carine,

Thank you for your comment. What does the OsCsid in the URL mean? And how do I stop it if it is bad!!??!!

We are aware that we need to add in the shipping rate info as it is currently not available unless you sign up. We ship worldwide and the current price of postage to europe is £4.

Jamie

Updates are done manually, so you can check each change to see if it affects some code that you have already modified before making that change.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived