• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce + Wordpress CMS - confused :(

Breathe

Hello there

I currently have a website, www.breatheapparel.com , which is built on osCommerce.

I also have a wordpress blog, www.breatheapparel.com/blog .

Both are hosted in the same place but act independantly (if i update the blog, nothing happens in the website and vice versa).

I am contemplating of hiring a team of pros to redo my osCommerce site for me, to make it more sales friendly.

Everything was going find until I asked them 'What if I want to have landing pages in my webite, to direct customers to in the future when I am having any promotion'.

They suggested that since I already have a wordpress blog, they combine both.

Meaning they will link the blog with my website, so that I can do any changes I want in the future (text, etc etc) without asking them.

And intead of reading ''www.breatheapparel.com/blog/promotion123'' it will then read as '''www.breatheapparel.com/cms/promotion123'''

So what I do in wordpress will show up in the website

And they want extra $$$ for this.

They claim that this is for the integration, plug-in and to have the same theme in the website appear on the blog.

Now, to my understanding, you can get FREE or very low cost theme and plug-ins are usually free. And really, how difficult can the integration be?

Does anyone know what I mean?

Can anyone point me to any osCommerce site which has wordpress installed in it as a cms?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Kiran

Hi,

I tested the wordpress plugin 1 or 2 years ago for osCommerce and found it was a bit buggy and very difficult to work with if any extra addons were installed in Osc.

I do not believe that there is a good bridge at the minute it is still a bit of the holy grail (correct me anybody if I am wrong) the main problem is the login that a single login works both on osc and wordpress.

If the guys can do it correctly it will be difficult and they would be entitled to the extra $$$.

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

You could install oscommerce as a plug-in for WordPress so you get the best of both. You will need to tinker with the themes and CSS to make them look the similar.

Try searching the WordPress plug-ins for "oscommerce". Evaluate both "WP OSCommerce Product Display" and "WP Online Store" to see which best suits your needs. As I recall, one will embed a store in your WordPress site, the other will pull data from an existing site.

You can get a long way to achieving you goal on your own depending on the time and skills you have to invest. Sometimes it is better to bite the bullet and get a professional to do for you whilst you work on the promotion and day to day running... but that will cost.

Good luck

Jandy

Now I'm starting to think, "Do I really want to have wordpress incorporated into my osCommerce site?""

I'm starting to wonder, besides landing pages, what else would I need it before? Any ideas?

@@shamanix , I know nuts about osCommerce and very little wordpress, plus I've recently opened a brick and mortar store, so yeah, dont have the time to put the effort into this.

@@Breathe

I personally don't think WP should be used in conjunction with osCommerce. WP has a history of vulnerabilities and now that osCommerce is secure out of the box, I wouldn't risk it.

Chris

I am having some issues here as well. I developed our website on WordPress based on our hosting company's recommendation of that software. I am building our e-store on osCommerce. I have two questions, concerns:

1. The amount of integration that I'm looking for is simply when I press the "Store" tab in the WordPress site that it takes me to the osCommerce construct. I have not been able to figure out how to do that in either of the softwares. Any help?

2. We are a fabric shop. When someone makes an order, they do not necessarily want an integer amount of a product...the could want say, 1 1/2 yards of a certain fabric. I have not figured out how to get osCommerce to allow fractional/decimal values in the add to cart process. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks,

Lee

Never, ever, EVER.

Never, should you mix wordpress with osCommerce or vice versa, or any other script. Run them independently of each other.

In fact, I would say to have your wordpress blog on a completely different domain to your shop. Why? You can manipulate your SEO much easier...

1. The amount of integration that I'm looking for is simply when I press the "Store" tab in the WordPress site that it takes me to the osCommerce construct. I have not been able to figure out how to do that in either of the softwares. Any help?

You need to link to an external URL. I am not familiar enough with Wordpress to tell you how to do that.

2. We are a fabric shop. When someone makes an order, they do not necessarily want an integer amount of a product...the could want say, 1 1/2 yards of a certain fabric. I have not figured out how to get osCommerce to allow fractional/decimal values in the add to cart process. Can anyone help me here?

This has certainly been covered in the past. I remember writing a post that showed how to do this, fairly recently. Look through my past posts.

Hi,

Now I'm starting to think, "Do I really want to have wordpress incorporated into my osCommerce site?""

I'm starting to wonder, besides landing pages, what else would I need it before? Any ideas?

@@shamanix , I know nuts about osCommerce and very little wordpress, plus I've recently opened a brick and mortar store, so yeah, dont have the time to put the effort into this.

Hi Kiran,

Think everybody here is agreed with Wordpress / Osc plug in is not such a good idea.

I think Burt is right that it is better to use 2 x seperate domain names for Seo reasons.

The word press site looks good and the osc site also looks pretty good the products are unique so my experience says get them both top level

(2 separate domains)

with a lots of additional links in the text from the wordpress blog pointing towards the Oscommerce site can see that there has been a lot of good work put into both sites so do not waste!

Osc has a lot of options for adding extra pages article manager/extrapage info/etc just google

Do not think you really need a landing page bit out of fashion now I would treat index.php oscommerce as my main page

( at the end of the day you want to sell) with the links too the blog etc appearing somewhere footer or whatever the idea is not to many clicks for the customer so why landing page??? JUST AN EXTRA CLICK in my opinion.

John

Hi @@joli1811

Thanks for your advice - really appreciate it!!

Today met up with my web developer, and he says generally in osC u can change all info about your products (add new, delete, upload pic, etc).

But when it comes to changing info on those pages which do not do any selling (static pages like your exchange policy, selling policy)., then the process usually involves downloading the file, changing the info and then reuploading OR paying a 3rd party to do it for you ( I have previoulsy kept a 3rd party on my payroll to do this, and he caused more mess than anything else!)

So he says when wordpress is integrated with oSc, i would still need 2 login's, but its technically happening on the same website, where:

1 - the osC part is where all I can make changes related to products

2 - the wordpress part is where I will have control of the static pages like privacy policy, exchnage policy, and of course i can add as many other static pages as i want which can have pic, video etc

but his main point is I would have control if it so if next time I need to make any changes, I can do them myself

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you

Kiran

There is an addon called info pages unlimited. Pages are created and edited from oscommerce admin.

You can have parent and child pages. You can create and edit all your privacy, exchange, etc pages from oscommerce.

So far, i do not see where you can use php on them, only html. And they would be on your store domain not your WP domain.

Tim

Hi Kiran,

Static pages like privacy policy/ exchange policy/ privacy/ shipping etc.. can be changed from the osc admin using the addon mentioned by Tim above or something similar

There is also an

addon http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/68866-article-manager-v1-0/page__st__1820

Which allows articles etc to be added and linked to specific products.

Well think it is very important to have control oneself of the website as at the end of the day it is not easy making money on the internet especially at the beginning and as you mentioned if you can do yourself it is cost saving.

Your developer has a point with the wordpress blog as it will allow certain functions that Osc does not have but as BURT said above

Never, ever, EVER.Never, should you mix wordpress with osCommerce or vice versa, or any other script. Run them independently of each other.

I personally would keep the static pages within osc and the extra video etc on wordpress that is if you are really set on the blog you can then link to the blog from the osc footer or left/right column .

The most important thing is do not use any wordpress/osc plugins as up until now they do not function correctly

I Believe a forum member lindsayanng was working on it one time do not know if she ever finished!

Again as mentioned above you could use the blog for SEO purposes but it would be better if you had a separate domain name you could then target different keywords relevant to your site and point with links towards the shopping cart.

At the end of the day your decision OSC can function perfectly as a stand alone website all the options are available within the framework to optimize just depends how much work and time you want to spend

John

Archived