• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Emailing users - issue.

Dear friend.

When I send an email to my users via admin, it doesn't appear to email all the users (I have 2500).

So I'm wondering if the server is timing out or what is the issue?

What do you suggest?

You'll probably have to install one of the "bulk mail" addons.

Another thing you are fighting is that the default max execution time of a PHP script is 30 seconds then the script "times out".

Chances are the script will "time out" before all 2500 emails are sent.

And if the "time out" doesn't happen, your host will probably think you're running a SPAM engine as mentioned in the previous post.

The "bulk mail" addon solves both of these problems.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thanks for the replies.

They said there is a limit of 1000 emails per day so maybe that explains it, will try to increase this limit.

Also does it matter if the oscommerce mail maybe uses a different mechanism than `normal' emails sent through something like outlook? (also see below quote).

BTW I did a search for `bulk mail' in the addons section and found this in particular -

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6553

Quote,`The purpose is to allow shop owners with small to medium size mailing lists to accomplish bulk mailings directly from the database on shared host environments without exceeding website email limits.'

Unfortunately they don't define what is a small to medium size mailing list but will give it a go.

An alternative would be to use a mailing list program such as PHPlist, that can be configured to stay within certain email sending limits (per minute, per hour, per day). I presume you are sending the same email to everyone. PHPlist will grab mailing addresses from a CSV file (exported from your customer list database), and I think it will let you substitute names and addresses from the file into each email. It should even be able to obey requests to mail newsletters only to those customers who have opted-in to receive them.

Thanks for the replies it looks like PHPlist may be the answer because it says you can set how many emails to send per day (1000).

I hope you don't have to be online for it to work though - in other words if you set it to send 1000 per day, will it just do it (run the script) or must you be online?

For larger mailings that cannot be finished in one sitting, I believe that the recommendation is to use cron (scheduled task) to periodically kick off processing via a command line interface. PHPlist has a nice GUI to create and test the messages, and queue them up, but unless it's a small batch you will need to automate the processing of the queue.

Thanks Phil.

I suppose then it would be easier for me to just create more than one list, and just send out one mailing per day so as not to go over the 1000 p/day limit.

Will download and install it, seems like the best solution so far.

Eh? A 1000/day limit has nothing to do with the number of lists. You can do it all with one list. It's just if you have 5000 recipients, it will take 5 days to work through the queue.

Unfortunately they don't define what is a small to medium size mailing list but will give it a go.

By small to medium would be from 250-10,000. There is actually no upper limit, but since the program sends out 1 email per page reload, the limit is really just how much time you are willing to take to send out your list. For example if you set the bulk mail engine to send out 1 email every 8 seconds, you'll send out 450 emails and hour, but a list of 2500 will take 5-6 hours. Since bluehost allows me to send 500 emails/hour, I can mail 24/7 at this rate with no problems. I typically send my list on a second computer and let it run all night.

I suppose then it would be easier for me to just create more than one list, and just send out one mailing per day so as not to go over the 1000 p/day limit.

The main reason I created the bulk mail engine http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6553 and the more sophisticated mail manager http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8120 is to eliminate mailing list maintenance, or creating separate mailing lists on a separate database like you need to do for PHPlist. These mailing programs use the existing customer list, and the mail manager can be set to select out a variety of customer groupings.

Oscommerce site:

OSC to CSS, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7263 -Mail Manager, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8120

Just to be clear, PHPlist is driven by a CSV file of email addresses + any other data you want (to use in the email, or to select whether or not to send to this address). It's true that it doesn't run directly off an existing active database for another application -- that would be a nice enhancement. What could be done is run a script (perhaps manually, perhaps by cron, perhaps by a modification to the PHPlist GUI) to generate the CSV file from the osC customer table just before running PHPlist itself.

Archived