• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Probable timeout error on the server - how to fix.

Dear friend.

I have what I believe is a timeout issue on my shared hosting.

I believe the solution lies in adding some code to the php.ini file but I'm not sure exactly what to ad, hence this post.

I've already done some Google and searches here on this forum for the answer and perhaps it lies in adding this to the php.ini file -

session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

Maybe this is just for a user session?

(BTW my php.ini file does not contain this line of code at all. It's not a big file and the closest thing I see to any sort of timing is this `max_input_time = 60', but I tried changing it to 600 but I still get the same message when backing-up).

Please help and confirm if this is correct.

The reason why I believe it's a timeout issue is because of two things -

When I try to backup the database in Oscommerce admin I get this error message after a while -

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

And when I send an email to all my users (again via Oscommerce admin) I think it's also timing out because not everyone (myself included) receives the email.

Your technical help is appreciated!

@@brochure

session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440 is the admin area session time out and is found in the session.php file.

If your server is timing out, ask your hosting provider to look into the issue. Often, shared servers are over-crowded and shared resources just aren't available all of the time to your customers. Perhaps changing hosts would correct the issue or you may want to consider VDS or DS services.

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris but I'm not sure if it is a timeout error (I'm just assuming it is).

Is a `500 Internal Server Error' like I mentioned in my first post a timeout error?

Archived