• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

500 Internal Server Error After Clicking File Download Link

fdegree

I am only selling digital downloads...nothing else...here is my problem:

After the customer pays for their selected download, the credit card transaction is processed smoothly, and the customer is redirected to the page with the download button...so-far-so-good.

When the customer clicks on the download button, instead of downloading, the following form would pop-up:

post-312478-0-97101900-1341316609_thumb.png

I have not figured out what user name and password it is looking for, but everytime I entered something, apparently it was wrong and I got the following error:

-------------------------------------

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------

I found and implemented the following contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4364/page,18

So far, it seems to have eliminated the Authentication Requirement, but I still get the above error when the download button is clicked.

So, I removed the.htaccess file from the pub folder, and this seems to have stopped the above error.

What harm can come from this resolution?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks...

I think if you are offering downloads, the downlinks should be secure, what's to stop someone from emailing the link to a friend. I think that is probably why a user name and password should be required.

OK...that makes sense, though I'm not sure that is truly the reason for this prompt. Also, the customer never creates a user name when they create an account. I realize their email address and password will grant them access to their account within the cart, but their email address and password do not grant them access to the file download. Instead, it results in the Internal Server Error shown above. So, what user name and password is this "Authorization Requirement" looking for?

I've tried:

Customer email and password

My Admin user name and password

I just created another "customer" and placed another order so I could use my Web Host login information to see if that is what this prompt is looking for. But, the problem has mysteriously disappeared...no more "Authorization Requirement" form popping up, for now???????

Any explanations?

Wow...I've been doing so many different things it slipped my mind that I removed the .htaccess file from the pub folder, and that is why the Authorization Requirement "mysteriously" disappeared. I soon realized the removal of the .htaccess file will allow someone access to the files inside the pub folder without paying for the files. So, I added my web sites index file to the pub folder, and this seems to have removed the unauthorized access to the contents of the folder while still eliminating the Authorization Requirement and the Internal Server Error message

If there is a better solution, please enlighten me...

Thanks for replying...

I have tried so many things in an attempt to resolve this problem. I am 99% certain that I did switch Download by Redirect to False as one of the many attempts to resolve the problem, and it did not help.

It is currently set tot True

I appreciate the input...

Turning off downloads by redirect would miss out the /pub/ folder as the item is downloaded straight from the downloads folder. If you have tried this and still get the same error, you must have a problem which is not related to the htaccess folder in the pub folder.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived