• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Licensing question...

Easify

I'm considering linking an EPOS system into OS Commerce by writing a standalone piece of code (middleware) that will receive messages from the EPOS system about stock levels, and will make changes directly to the OS Commerce data tables.

Will the middleware come under any form of licensing restriction related to OS Commerce, or is it considered a separate and unrelated piece of code from the perspective of OS Commerce and the GNU licensing?

Thanks

@

I believe if you have to make ANY changes to any of the osCommerce files, then your EPOS system would have to fall under GPL or GNU. I am not an authority on this subject but I wrote several add ons myself and had to oblige by the terms of the license.

Chris

@

IMO, you would not need to follow the licensing if you are only connecting to the database and not integrating anything into the core files. Again, I am not an authority on the subject, this is just my informed opinion.

Chris

Thanks again Chris,

I imagine that we're more likely to need to consider the MySQL GPL with relation to our code because that's what we will be connecting with.

Be great to get any other opinions on where we stand with this, I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer from reading the docs.

If you do not use any code/functions from oscommerce and simply connect to the db then you will not come under any form of licensing restriction related to OS Commerce.

Archived