• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email / Newsletter - Are these sent as BCC?

Kuma

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this so I am posting here hoping someone can tell me.

Under tools>send email there is an option to send "to all newsletter subscribers." If I use this option, will all customer emails show up in the to field of the email (thus exposing all customer emails to all other customers). Or does this option send using BCC so that customer email addresses are hidden?

Under tools>newsletter manager there is the option to create newsletters. Same question as above, exposed email addresses or BCC?

If these tools do not send BCC, is there a way to make this happen?

My main concern is when I send a group email or a newsletter I am not exposing customer email addresses. I personally would not be happy to see my email listed openly in a to field on a group email.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looking at the code (osC 2.3.1), it appears that each copy of the newsletter is sent individually (to one addressee). Therefore, customers should see only their own address in "To:". You could test this out by only enabling newsletters for a few close friends (or your own test email addresses) and sending out a test newsletter.

Thanks MrPhil. Unfortunately there is no way I can see to test currently. I should have tested after install when I had the chance. I never thought we would use the newsletter feature and suddenly (of course) we have a use for it now. We have just over 100 newsletter subscribers at this point and the only option I get when I go to the send email page is to send to all customers, all newsletter subscribers, or individual customers. The setup will not allow me to choose a select group of customers or I would just run an email for my few testing accounts.

But I suspect it should be fine based on what you are telling me about the code. I'll update this again after a live test as a confirmation for people wondering about this later. Thank you again for the answer.

Success. The option to send email to all newsletter customers only shows the individual customer's email address in the to field. Thank you again for the help MrPhil.

Archived