• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Inserting code from upgrade guide without linenumbers

aogden

A few years ago I helped a friend setup an online store using OSC 2.2 RC1. I'm trying now to bring his code up to date. First step, as I understand it, is to upgrade the site to RC2, then to 2.3.0 and finally to 2.3.1.

But after all these years I can't remember how to copy/paste the code to be updated from the upgrade guide WITHOUT the line numbers. The links to the code in RAW format are broken so that isn't available. I sure hope I'm not going to have to edit every single line after pasting it into its proper place just to remove the line numbers and "+" symbol.

Just need a little nudge in the right direction.

Alex Ogden

A nudge in the right direction: Install a fresh copy of 2.3.1 and then import the database. I've done it both ways, and it's easier to start over. Plus you get a fully capable 2.3.1 install, not the halfway version you get by upgrading.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@aogden

I agree with Jim, the 'hybrid' version you end up with after the updates is less stable and more time consuming than a clean install of v2.3.1

Chris

But what about the various modifications made with the initial store? It has been so many years I don't even know what contributions where installed.

If I go that route, do I just install 2.3.1 fresh but do the uprades to the database for 2.2 RC2, 2.3.0, and then 2.3.1, to walk it forward to the present?

In answer to my own question that started this topic I found by trial and error that holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on the lines to add they become selected (without the line numbers) and thus is easy to copy and paste them.

Thanks for the help guys!

Alex

You'll need to update those contributions as well. That's not going to be easy even if you know which ones were installed. Without knowing that, you're on your own.

You can import the data from the 2.2 database into 2.3.1. The tables have some slight differences, so it's easiest to just move the data and leave the table structure alone. If the tables have been modified to add contributions, you'll have to compensate for that when you do the import.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I know how to run the SQL instructions that come with the upgrade guides through phpMyAdmin. Beyond that I wouldn't know how to do any of the database things you referred to. Although I can figure out some of the contributions I had installed previously (like STS and SPPC) I'm sure I would never remember or figure out all of them. So I am back to thinking that it may indeed be best to proceed with upgrading what I have rather than a fresh install.

Alex

Okay. So after several hours making the edits to upgrade from 2.2 RC1 to RC2 all works fine except the Catalog function in Admin. Click it and blank screen. Whatever. So, I am reconsidering the full fresh install as everyone here suggests. How do I import the data from the old database into the new one? Would that preserve any modifications to the database done for contributions in the past, and again be useable with 2.3.1 once those updated contributions are installed? The database stuff is what I know nothing about, other than copy/pasting sql code into phpMyAdmin.

I REALLY appreciate the advice guys.

Alex

P.S. Forgot to ask. Can I install 2.3.1 to something other than "catalog" on the server so the old is still working while I migrate to the new?

Yes, you can - and should - install the new store into an other folder, any folder on your server. The setup process of the new store may take a while, your store should remain open

Your database concept will work that way, eg, if you plan to install SPPC again, then you can keep the SPPC related data of your existing DB of course

Thus far my search for database upgrade help has been fruitless. I'm sure it has to do with not knowing just what to search for. Any help in finding the info would be appreciated.

Archived