• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where do you start?

zarah

I did a search and did not find this question asked although I'm it's been asked a thousand times. Please forgive me if I am the 1,001 person to ask this. There are a gazillion add ons to go through, so which ones are the top add ons for a new install of version 2.3.1? I wouldn't know where to begin.

@@zarah

The question has been asked 10000000 times but there IS NOT ANSWER !

Why ?

Because, what you need for your store is unique to what you sell and what you want to be able to do. SO, there is no list of top add ons.

Chris

So then you have to go through over 6,000 add ons, read through each one to figure it out?

Not quite that painful, but there is a bunch of work involved. At least start with security add ons that are out there for 2.3.1. Even though the experts say it's pretty secure as is, I still did some trolling and found some add ons for security because to me, securing your site is first and foremost.

Then after that, google for add ons for what you'd like your shop to do that the stock issue doesn't.

For example, do you want to close your shop now and then..google "store closed oscommerce" and you'll find some add ons that do that. Or if your are from Canada or Great Britain, try "store holiday oscommerce" for some more versions.

There are some tricks to refine google searches but that should get you started.

Good luck.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

The only problem with "look for [add-ons to do] what you'd like your shop to do that the stock issue doesn't" is that who (especially a beginner) is going to have an idea of all the possible things that could fall into this list? Who would think, to use your own example, of looking for a "shop closed today" type add-on? Only by browsing the list can one say, "Hey, that's a cool thing I should add to the store!" There may be something wonderful out there that this person could use, but they'd have no idea to go looking for it.

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to organize such a list so that someone could go right to what they don't realize they need, other than weeding out anything that doesn't apply to their osC version, and listing everything else. Some discoveries would just be serendipitous. The main point is that a storeowner may not always be able to search on task or keyword, because they simply may not have any idea that a certain something is possible, much less vital to them! Certainly we can help by indexing on tasks, and making sure that a good keyword search works, and suppressing noise (older versions, obsolete add-ons, ones that don't apply to this osC version). Beyond that, what can we do to help?

Add: even today, much of the Add-Ons listing is useless. It's just titles, without an abstract to let you quickly decide whether something is worth reading further. All add-ons need a few lines describing what they're for, and they need to be listed in some sort of reasonable order.

Edited by MrPhil

So then you have to go through over 6,000 add ons, read through each one to figure it out?

No, make yourself familiar with all the functions in standard oscommerce and then sit down and make an assessment of what other functionality you want/need.

When you have determined what functionality you want/need you go to the add-ons section and look/search for add-ons there which will give you the wanted functionality.

Add: even today, much of the Add-Ons listing is useless. It's just titles, without an abstract to let you quickly decide whether something is worth reading further. All add-ons need a few lines describing what they're for, and they need to be listed in some sort of reasonable order.

I have had more luck with googling than searching on the osCommerce add on page when I go trolling for add ons I'd like to have. Searching through the add on listings directly on the osCommerce site isn't as efficient for me. You get about any addon that contains whatever keyword you use it seems.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.