• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forbidden

SpikerzZ

I get this error when trying to install OSCommerce 2.3.1 on this website http://www.sawmillbusinessalliance.ca

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /catalog/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache Server at www.sawmillbusinessalliance.ca Port 80

@@SpikerzZ

I suggest checking the permissions for the /catalog/ directory to ensure they are set to 705 or 755. Also, ensure that osCommerce is installed into the /catalog/ directory. A directory that does not have an index.php file will show a 404 error when accessed.

Chris

Actually, the 404 listed in the first post is a result of the Apache server's brain-dead defaults. If you don't have your own 401 or 403 handler (whichever one this particular error was) installed, Apache will first look for your handler, and not finding it, will throw a 404 error before going and using the built-in system default handler. The only way around it that I know of is to define your own handlers (at least the basic set: 401, 402, 403, 404, and 500; to take care of the vast majority of errors). Whenever you get an error message using the server's default handler, and then a 404, the 404 is from looking for your custom error handler (error document), not a missing file.

@@SpikerzZ

I suggest checking the permissions for the /catalog/ directory to ensure they are set to 705 or 755. Also, ensure that osCommerce is installed into the /catalog/ directory. A directory that does not have an index.php file will show a 404 error when accessed.

Chris

What do you mean check the permissions? how do we do that?

I just found out it was forbidden when I copied through Windows Explorer, I tried expression web and now I get this

Warning: require(includes/application.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/61/9311461/html/thedropboxteam/catalog/index.php on line 13

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/application.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/61/9311461/html/thedropboxteam/catalog/index.phpon line

is there a suggested program to upload with?

Don't ever use Dreamweaver, Expression Web, or any other page editor application to work with your PHP-coded website. It's very easy to mess it up badly. Use an FTP client (Filezilla is by far the favorite) to upload and download files to and from the site. Use a text editor such as Notepad++ or ViM, among others to edit files (NEVER a word processor or page editor). Windows Explorer isn't really designed for Web work and is probably asking for trouble.

Once you have the files in place, what step are you trying to do? Running "install"? Have you gotten to the point of uploading the files? Don't forget that PHP files are text (ASCII mode), while image files (.gif, .jp[e]g, .png) are binary mode. Permissions need to be appropriately set (755 for folders, 644 for files, and you will need to change the two configure.php files to 444 (read only) once you're ready to start running.

I downloaded Filezilla and it is good but I didn't upload this with it yet because I went to the catalog/install directory right there and it is letting me install it :D

Archived