• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need some help

ezradavis72

I have a a person who wanted to know if I can help them out with a new small business. The last guy they had passed away and now they can't get any support on it.

So they want to start over. I have been playing with OSC but my question is can you add two to one web site.

They want one for retail and one for dealers? Or is there some better way to do this?

Being they both will be different prices?

Also what do I need to purchase to protect the OSC as far as security

I am useing Vodahost and the bluevoda softwear

@@ezradavis72

You can install two stores onto one hosting account, just install them into separate directories. You don't have to purchase anything for osCommerce for security, although I am sure your customers would appreciate an SSL.

Bluevodo software is NOT used with osCommerce.

Chris

@@ezradavis72

You CAN create a second site on the same server using the same files and the same database, then you would just have to change the prices. This is NOT done from osCommerce admin. You could duplicate the files in your hosting account control panel to a new subdirectory and then make a backup of your database and import it into a NEW database......then all you have to do is change the two configure.php files to reflect the path and database changes.

OR, you can install the contribution that Gary mentioned and have one site do both whoelsale and retail. (this can be tricky to install if you do not have PHP experience)

Chris

I'm a little confused by your first post. Is the existing site/store done with BlueVoda, or are you just saying that's all you're familiar with? BlueVoda appears to be a template-driven WYSIWYG website builder/editor from VodaHost. Frankly, it sounds like it just produces static HTML pages. A store could be made with this, but it would just be static HTML with some sort of "Buy it Now" button (third party payment system such as PayPal). That's OK for one or two items that don't need inventory control or dynamic pages, but unsuitable for a real store. osCommerce is a totally different animal, written in the PHP scripting language and using the MySQL database to hold product and customer information. Do you have any idea what the current, unsupported store is?

If you go with osC, in the long run you're probably better off going with a mod (add-on) that can handle wholesale and retail. It's a steeper learning curve up front, but you're going to have to bring someone on board familiar with PHP and MySQL anyway (maybe not an expert coder, but someone who knows their way around the languages and can figure their way through an application written using them). The alternative is to install two completely separate osC stores and databases, and go through the extra labor of keeping them updated in sync (both the store code and the database information). If you have both stores going into the same inventory (or a brick and mortar store also in the same inventory), you're going to have a lot of work to keep both osC inventories consistent with the physical inventory. An add-on like Easy Populate, which updates product information from a CSV spreadsheet file, might be acceptable for that, if updating is done frequently (perhaps hourly?).

You don't need to purchase any code for osC security. Everything is free. However, for any online store you're going to want to have SSL for protection of sensitive information, either private (preferable) or shared SSL certificate. A private certificate and the dedicated IP address it needs will cost something. You will also need a payment system, unless you only accept checks, cash, and money orders. If you want credit cards, I would suggest using a Third Party payment system such as PayPal (and others). They're a bit more expensive per transaction than a merchant account and payment gateway, but the upfront and monthly base charges are 0.

@@ezradavis72

You can have two sites each with their own domain that share a single database and modify so the data used by one will vary to the other, its easiest if both domains are hosted on the same server, but not essential. I wouldn't use the directory method under a single domain.

For convenience I keep to a single admin with this method

@@MrPhil Are you using voice to text these days or just got into typing lengthy posts?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I'm trying to be helpful to people who know little or nothing about osC. For that, you generally need to be pretty detailed and can't assume anything.

(Lady at Presidential party): Mr. Coolidge, I bet my friend that I could get you to say at least three words.

(President Coolidge): You lose.

There is a Multi store contribution.

You can use that if you want one data base but two domains.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

I don't want to Domains, They want to stores. One for retail and one for wholesale.

Thats what they want so that is what I want to give them. They said they didn't want there dealers going to the retaill site

So that is why I asked about copying the info from one to another.

I am putting togeter a store on my domain name just to check to see if that is what they want. But after that I want to transfer all the info over to there store on there domain name

You can do it as www.yourdomain.com for retail....and www.yourdomain.com/wholesale/ for the wholesale website....same domain....two stores....

Likewise, wholesale.yourdomain.com/ and shop.yourdomain.com/ (retail) to put them in subdomains (internally, still /wholesale and /shop).

Certainly, the easiest path up front is to install two completely different stores with two separate databases. There are two problems to address: 1) keeping their code updated in sync is extra labor (but not rocket science), and 2) their product data and inventories need to be kept in sync. There are a number of approaches to dealing with this:

1. Modify the code in each store to deduct from/add to inventory in both databases.
  2. On a cron job, look for inventory changes in one database and reflect them to the other. This could work for adding inventory, too, if you look at the time of last update.
  3. Figure out how to use Easy Populate to update both inventories on a regular basis. You might get the inventory changes to apply by parsing sales emails (also useful accounting information like tax collected).
  4. Figure out how to feed both stores off the same database. This might require that code be added to lock tables or rows to make certain update operations atomic.
  5. Something else... be sure to read this forum for previous discussions on running multiple stores. Maybe something there will apply to you.

Good luck!

@@MrPhil

Likewise, wholesale.yourdomain.com/ and shop.yourdomain.com/ (retail) to put them in subdomains (internally, still /wholesale and /shop).

yes, ofcourse that is also an option.

Chris

Archived