Jump to content
  • Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Local Settings again


aabfm

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I've just installed osC 2.3.1 as well as portuguese and spanish language packs.

My problem is I can't get both special characters and currency to work well... :unsure:

For instance: if I get the Euro symbol to work, special characters stop working and vice-versa.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

I've just tried iso_8859-1, utf8, etc, etc but I just can't get both of them to work well at the same time. :sweating:

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should use the named HTML entity instead. It will work regardless of the page encoding (Latin-1 or UTF-8). The proper numeric HTML entity for the Euro is 8364; which will also work regardless of encoding. If you're ending up inserting a binary single byte for this character, with a value x80, that is only valid for CP-1252 code page (what Microsoft products use for "Smart Quotes" extension to Latin-1). Some browsers are smart enough to use CP-1252 when Latin-1 is requested, and some may even use the Smart Quotes instead of control codes for x80 through x9F, but nothing's guaranteed. If the page HTML includes 128; in its source, some customers' browsers will see it as a control code and mess up your page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot that worked quite good, however...

 

Now that the Euro issue is fixed there's another one even worst!!!

 

The menus and Euro symbol are ok (language pack) but when I insert a new product which has special characters on its portuguese and/or spanish language, the spanish one comes out ok but the portuguese no!

 

The spanish file is as follows:

 

@setlocale(LC_TIME, 'utf8');

define('CHARSET', 'utf8');

 

and the portuguese:

 

@setlocale(LC_TIME, 'utf8');

define('CHARSET', 'utf8');

 

I've already tried

 

@setlocale(LC_TIME, 'pt_PT.ISO_8859-1');

define('CHARSET', 'iso_8859-1');

 

 

but without any success...

Any ideas?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got the solution!!!

Downloaded UTFCast Express (this is the free version) and converted all the portuguese translation files into UTF8!!! Voilá!!!

Finally working!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, your database, page display encoding, and language support file encoding should all be the same, so that everything works together smoothly. This may mean finding a utility to convert a set of language files from Latin-1 to UTF-8 or vice-versa (or whatever encodings are involved). There seem to be a number of free ones around, so it shouldn't be too hard to do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...