• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

hostgator shared ssl question....

GoTTi

If you're using a private SSL certificate, it can be used only with the domain that it was issued for. Thus, if your cert is for www.domain.com, neither domain.com, addon.com, nor sub.domain.com will work. I would think the same thing would be true for shared certificates -- the cookie domain would need to match the certificate domain. One of the things that SSL is designed to do is to check what site you're actually on, to increase security.

If you're using a private SSL certificate, it can be used only with the domain that it was issued for. Thus, if your cert is for www.domain.com, neither domain.com, addon.com, nor sub.domain.com will work. I would think the same thing would be true for shared certificates -- the cookie domain would need to match the certificate domain. One of the things that SSL is designed to do is to check what site you're actually on, to increase security.

i thought the same thing, but ive done about 20-30 test transactions with different options all for $1 and they all seem to be working when the cookie domain for the SSL is set to www.DOMAIN.com even though the ssl is being used as a shared ssl with hostgator

Archived